Minoxidil - Expiry date?

Hey guys,

Okay, as some of you may know, I have pencilled in my first HT for early November. Having read many older posts of late, I understand that using Minoxidil after HT will increase growth speed.

A) Is this correct?

B) If so, how soon after is recommended to begin using?

Unfortunately, due to my current situation, work commitments and use of hair thickener, it is impossible to use Minoxidil now in my daily life. However, I purchased a batch in early 2006. Which I still have in my home, is it possible to use this particular batch in late 2009, or does Minoxidil expire so to speak?

Thanks.

Ian

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Raphael,

I believe minoxidil has an expiry date. Look for it on the bottle.

Minoxidil doesn't increase hair growth speed. However, some feel it may help jump start early growth. I haven't seen any clinical evidence to back this up.

If you're going to use it, you may want to wait 7-10 days, until after the scabs have fallen off. This will give the recipient area a chance to heal. There are varying opinions on this however.

Best wishes,

Bill

Having read many older posts of late, I understand that using Minoxidil after HT will increase growth speed.

Raphael84,

Bill is right. Despite, what you may have read, Minoxidil CANNOT increase the growth speed of your hair.

The rate of hair growth has to do with the rate of cell division within the hair follicle.

This is a PURELY genetic variable.

This is why some persons, hair grows faster, than some others.

Minoxidil works by vascular dialation, in addition to affecting potassium/sulphur channels (not to sure about this last part (K/Na)?)

Minoxidil CAN increase the diameter of the hair shaft, but NOT the rate of cell division and consequently rate of hair growth.

take care...

Well guys,

I found out the old minoxidil, and after much searching (due to the text on the label having faided, which tells its own story), I see that the minoxidil expired mid 2007.

So, a follow up question to this, would be why? And what actually expires? Therefore using this product would be totally "useless"?

Your thoughts!

P.S. - Which product do UK based or european citizens use as minoxidil, and where/how do you purchase?

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Mid 2007 is almost a year and half ago.

Probably not very effect.

A couple or maybe three months, would have been acceptable.

You can still try it and see if you have any direct and indirect effects.

If not throw it away.

take care...