7 days after transplant is it ok to scratch away the crusts from donor area?

So today the donor area numbness is almost totally gone and I found out it's full of crusts, since of course there are no grafts to endanger overther I tried to remove some and they are nicely falling or getting stuck under my nails.

Anyway going which sounds good to me.

Am I doing something wrong which could cause scarring/pain/troubles in the future?

Also, any suggestions to remove the crusts from the recipient areas faster but safely?

Thank you in advance for you support and guidance.

Assuming you have been shampooing gently with cups of water daily since the HT, now you can Shampoo 2x a day and leave it in for 5- 10 minute to loosen them up. Use your finger tips, not your nails. That warm water and soapy shampoo will loosen them nicely - don't force the issue - in a few days they will all be gone.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

No scratching! Especially until after day 10 when the grafts have proven in studies to be permanent.

Use gentle circular motion after shampooing or moisturizing.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Teddy, as the others have suggested, DON'T scratch, just be a little firmer shampooing. The crusting/scabs will come off over the next few days. While research suggests the grafts are secure after day 10 I personally wouldnt full on scratch any of the recipient hair area for several weeks. Why? People heal differently, some heal fast, others take much longer and so better to be a little caution in my opinion. Also for the majority of people the recipient area will be numb and still healing for several weeks so scratching with your nails could inflame and break the surface of the skin and due to the numbness, you might not be aware of the damage you cause.

Sorry for the confusion, I was specifically talking only about the donor area in the first part of the OP. I did scratch only the donor area yesterday night before washing my head since it was full of crusts.

I would never do the same to the recipient areas, until after 2 weeks and crusts would not fall out I guess.

Edited by Teddy

Teddy,

Did you have FUE or are you removing the scabs on your strip scar/wound?

If you had FUT, I would definitely not recommend scratching off the scabbing so soon. You want that area where a strip was removed to heal on it's own and allow the scabs to come off by themselves.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Ok so I'm reading now that your donor is the area having issues with crusting and scabbing after the surgery.

Did the clinic give you any hydrocortisone cream to use?

The Belgium clinics give out an awesome post-op cream called HydroOne which works wonders.

If not try Kirkland brand Hydrocortisone cream plus with aloe vera for the donor.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Ok so I'm reading now that your donor is the area having issues with crusting and scabbing after the surgery.

Did the clinic give you any hydrocortisone cream to use?

The Belgium clinics give out an awesome post-op cream called HydroOne which works wonders.

If not try Kirkland brand Hydrocortisone cream plus with aloe vera for the donor.

No, what is that?

I have D-panthenol foam and special shampoo only.

Thanks.

No, what is that?

I have D-panthenol foam and special shampoo only.

Thanks.

If your Doctor did not prescribe something specific for the donor area (which mine did), either as suggested above or Bacitracin Zinc ointment. Twice a day. Scratching the donor is not advised. This should have been done starting from day one after surgery, although a week or so of ointment couldn't hurt as this point.

Agreed, who was your doctor btw and as JustJax wrote to you in the other thread try to stick with their post-op instructions, because it's quite important to your HT success or failure.

This is the Kirkland brand Hydrocortisone I mentioned:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=99976&d=1477704058

go dense or go home

Sounds like scabbing in the donor not crusts which are dead graft tissue in the recipient area.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY