Walking/ Running on treadmill after FUT.

How long after an FUT procedure would it be safe to walk daily on a treadmill for 1+ hours? Is working up a sweat by walking and not via strenuous exercise safe shortly after the suture removal?

How long until it is safe to resume running?

Opinions vary on exercise after hair transplant surgery and it's always best to follow the advice of your hair restoration physician.

With follicular unit strip surgery, the main concern is not to put stress on the donor scar. You need to avoid touching your chin to your chest or otherwise stressing the donor area for the first few months in order to avoid scar stretching. Barring that, it's generally considered ok to engage in mild physical activity like walking after the first couple of days.

I'm a fan of erring on the side of caution and personally feel it's best to wait a full two weeks before working up a sweat.

Here's a detailed response to a similar question by Coalition Hair Restoration Physician Dr. Paul Shapiro published on our Hair Loss Q&A Blog that you might find useful.

When it’s Ok to Exercise After a Hair Transplant

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

My doctor told me to avoid things that made my head sweat for at least two weeks. Hair transplants are not cheap I would do as little as you can to raise your blood pressure for at least a couple of weeks. Better to be cautious and protect your investment in my opinion.

I would also wait two weeks before any strenuous exercise. I gentle walk for an hour would be fine. I walked around Vancouver for hours the day after my FUT surgery but by the end of it is was ready to have a lie down.

I would say walking an hour after 3-5 days would be fine for running I would wait the two weeks. Just take it easy for the first couple of times.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.