How often is the transplanted hair susceptible to DHT?

Transplanted hair is taken from hair zones that are not susceptible to DHT damage.

As long as a skilled surgeon removes the transplanted grafts from the correct zone you should not lose hardly any transplanted hairs from DHT.

However all the native hairs that surround transplanted hairs are still susceptible to DHT and will possibly continue to thin over time.

This is why patients need to plan for the future and save donor hair in case of more native hair loss down the line.

Hair loss is a "moving target" and will possibly continue to thin to some degree all around the transplanted grafts.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Transplanted hair is taken from hair zones that are not susceptible to DHT damage.

As long as a skilled surgeon removes the transplanted grafts from the correct zone you should not lose hardly any transplanted hairs from DHT.

However all the native hairs that surround transplanted hairs are still susceptible to DHT and will possibly continue to thin over time.

This is why patients need to plan for the future and save donor hair in case of more native hair loss down the line.

Hair loss is a "moving target" and will possibly continue to some degree all around the transplanted grafts.

Agree.

Shampoo...I just realized you had another procedure in May! How's it coming along?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Agree.

Shampoo...I just realized you had another procedure in May! How's it coming along?

Thanks NewHairPlease....my procedure in May went pretty well, but was smaller than I intended.

I had really hoped for like 4000-4500 grafts....but Dr. Wong could only get 2708.

I guess being my 3rd procedure the scalp laxity just wasn't there.

2708 is not bad but i wished it could have been more.

The transplanted hair has really started coming in the last month.

We didn't get as much to the crown as I wanted...only 800 grafts :(

So I would expect down the road in a year or two...after I see full results and have re-vascularization ....

I may do a 1000-1500 FUE crown-only procedure.

With my panic/anxiety I am scared of the "face-down" time involved with FUE...but I suppose with the right amount of Xanax I can do anything....lol.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Are you on Fin and are you a good responder to Fin?

Or are you trying to have a second HT without using the drug?

Responses will depend on the answers to the above, as the approach will be different (if you're a good responder on Fin you can go more conservative and ideally it should help maintain your existing hair).

Also what are your expectations from the surgery and what are your hair characteristics?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

This is why a microscopic examination of the scalp is imperative. It will confirm how stable the donor zone is and also show where miniaturization and diffusion is impeding in the immediate areas adjacent to the proposed recipient area.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY