Finally going to do it

Bravo

I am 32 years old and have been thinning on my scalp for quite a number of years (before I turned 20). I still have some hair but it is quite thin (diffuse is the term used by the Dr I have chosen, pic attached).

I am heading to Thailand in December to get this done, not because it is cheaper (although that is a positive), but because from everything I have read, Dr Damkerng Pathomvanich is one of the best around. It also allows me to do this with a bit of anonymity as I will be in Thailand for a month and by the time I come back home to Australia around three weeks should have lapsed and hopefully things should be looking normal.

While I have not yet been seen in person (I have sent a lot of photos), it has been recommended I get 4000 grafts using FUT strip method, which I am happy about. The one reason I have not yet undergone a hair transplant was a fear about having a massive scar at the back of my head. However after doing a lot of research I am confident that these days the scarring can be quite minimal.

Did anyone here start taking Finasteride before or after their hair transplant and what are your opinions on it?

When it all happens I'll be sure to provide a lot of photo updates... December cannot come quickly enough though :-)

DSC_0002-2.thumb.jpg.e4531ed7749f20cabc23f9847ef18f61.jpg

Edited by Bravo

FUE and its overall reputation has gotten better over the years and the growth rates from my experience are very good.

I've had both FUT and FUE and think the choice also involves the level of baldness/thinness involved.

I agree FUT may be best in your case.

(1) Are you going to address your crown in this procedure with 4,000 grafts or just the front and new hairline?

(2) What density in grafts per cm2 is your doctor promising, and what are your expectations in terms of hair density from the procedure?

The reason I ask is that you have light fine hair which will require more grafts for a dense "non transplant" look.

According to this site: Dr. Pathomvanich can dense pack up to 50 FU/cm2 safely into the balding area

As someone with fine lighter hair, the only areas of my hairline that look 100% "non transplant" like in harsh lighting are 60 cm2 in density.

Just want to mention this to you so you're not chasing future procedures, and the initial procedure into bald virgin scalp is important to get it right the first time.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I have always had fine hair and know that I will not end up with thick locks of hair. I am unsure what will be worked on at the moment, but definitely the hairline and perhaps the crown at a later date.

I am also going to give Finasteride a go after my hair transplant to see whether or not I am one of the lucky ones where it thickens the hair which is left and causes new growth. It is also worth noting that cameras don't show the true picture when it comes to my scalp either. I am thin on the top (no doubt), but cameras tend to make me look more bald than I really am. I actually have quite a lot of very fine hair (which still grows) and this is why I think Finasteride could actually be of benefit to me once I have the hair transplant.

I am not looking for a miracle though. I know the limitations and know that until hair follicles can be successfully 'cloned', that all I am doing is moving hair around, not gaining new hair.

Ok I think addessing only the new hairline and frontal third with the 4,000, then seeing how you respond on fin and a possible second HT later is a good approach.

I don't mean any disrespect here, I know Dr. Path is recommended here but I don't remember seeing large number of home runs from him.

Did you consider other surgeons as well during your research?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

I have and will be going with him.

There are quite a few Australians who have been to him and are quite happy.

I think the hair transplant and Finasteride will hopefully work out well.

Ok it seems safer than Turkey now with everything gong on recently, that's where a lot of other Australians go from what I've seen here on HRN.

Good luck and keep us posted

go dense or go home

Bravo,

Congratulations on your decision to undergo a hair transplant surgery. Dr. Path is exceptional and I trust you'll be in the best of hands. I hope that you will share your experience with us and update us monthly with pictures so we can follow your progress and support you.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 month later...

Not long now until I finally get this done, I am counting down the days.

I have been doing the scalp laxity exercises which I was strongly recommended to do (as I am hopefully getting 4000 grafts via FUT), and I am noticing my scalp become quite loose which is a good thing.