What supplements to add to daily routine to assist with hair regrowth?

So its now two weeks to the day that I had my surgery and I'm looking to ensure that I have all the necessary vitimins, minerals to promote optimal growth and overall stonger, thicker hair.

I am curently only taking a multi vitamin and Biotin 5000 mcg. What would you guys suggest adding into the mix and in what doses?

I was thinking of adding MSM and Silica?

A good daily multi-vitamin, biotin, and MSM are your best bets -- in my humble opinion. Do be aware that MSM does cause some skin "break outs" for some patients.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

A good daily multi-vitamin, biotin, and MSM are your best bets -- in my humble opinion. Do be aware that MSM does cause some skin "break outs" for some patients.

Thanks Blake, thats in line with what I was thinking. Not sure what doses MSM comes in but maybe I'll look at a loser dose to possibly avoid breakouts.

You might be able to slow it down, but Dr. Axe is wrong when he says you can reverse it

To be honest, I'm not looking to reverse or even slow down anything (not that I wouldn't want that long term of course), for now I was just looking to add in supplements that might just promote stronger healthier hair growth.

Has anyone used Viviscal? Its a pill (and they have a range of shampoo/conditioner etc) that contains Biotin, Zinc and marine protein complex AminoMarC. Apparently Gweneth Paltrow raved about it a few years back. Although its a bit pricey, I was thinking of possibly using that for the next 3-4 months just to give the regrowth the best possible chance. Any thoughts?

Hi justjax

Congrats on ur ht I'm just over 4 months and loving the early growth personally I'm on fin and foligain which I bought online been taking it for about 3 weeks seems to be working loving the early growth

IMG_2386.thumb.jpg.79b8b93dbc9369baf9209c21462ab9ec.jpg

IMG_2346.thumb.jpg.63538c23eb1f2ccfb0ecdc2e3a74f7ce.jpg

Besides Fin (or saw palmetto etc. if you can't tolerate Fin), biotin and a good multi-vitamin combined with a healthy lifestyle I don't think there's much more that can help.

The more you start to try the other supplements the more cans of worms you can open lol:

which brand is safe, which format works best (liquid, tablet, powder..), and do I really want to pay for all of this crap to maintain in the coming years...?

For example awhile back I read that fish oil tablets were good, then later read some reviews that the brand I purchased actually was causing hair loss from impurities in the tablets. :rolleyes:

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)