Shaving Recipient Area after HT

Hello

I recently went through HT procedure 11 days ago and will most likely finally cut my hair on day 15. I received 900 grafts in the front of my hairline mainly the corner area. My HT physician does not recommend shaving the recipient area at the moment. The reason I want to shave it completely on day 15 is because I have very little hair in the recipient area anyway and it is very uneven since the area was shaved bald right before the procedure there is not much hair there right now and I look beyond silly. Also the hair will shed and fall out anyway I just want to have a buzz cut that is equal all the way around but I most likely will just get a bald head on day 15 and regrow from there. I am Black American and I wear my haircut short so I was considering just trimming the little hairs in the recipient area completely in the next few days.

any suggestions?

People will tell you to follow your surgeons instructions, but if you want my advice? Shave away. I know i did around day 15, for the exact reasons you stated. I'll be 8 months post op at the end of this month and all my grafts stayed where they were put, no big deal in shaving after 15 days.

I personally shaved my head about 10 days after my third hair transplant so everything would grow at the same time and the same rate and for my 4th hair transplant, I had the clinic shave my head before my hair transplant. Obviously not everyone wants to do this or is in a position to do it. But for me, everything was just cleaner and easier to take care of. So if you can get away with it, shaving is probably the best thing you can do to keep everything clean.

Best wishes,

Bill

I think you should do it later because all the bumps might make it easy for you to cut yourself.

And the transplanted hair will shed anway... it's best to shave after a few weeks of growth at around monh 4 IMO!

I agree...buzzing the area could potentially pull out some of the graft hair before it's ready to shed on its own and probably why your doctor would want you to wait.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY