Minox vs Fin and others

Mbsingh

Hi everyone.

Apologies beforehand i know i should google but the little time i spent on researching confused me even more.

My question is what's difference between Minoxidil, Propecia, Finasteride and Rogaine.

And whats the use of each. I have thinning hair in scalp, i am going for HT next month for receding hairline but crown and top are thinning and wondering whats best solution to slow it as i am planning another HT down the road in 5-7 years.

Thanks

Minoxidil and rogaine is the same thing, and it doesnt really work on its own. All the reports about people with good results are from those who just started it, the famous newcomer placebo effect, and people who are on other medications in addition.

Finasteride and Propecia is the same, and it does a good job in halting hairloss but theres many reports of it losing some effect after many years use. Should be good for you though, if you are having another HT down the road anyway.

Dutasteride seem to be the best to halt hairloss for long periods of time, there are some reported side effects but no worse than Finasteride i think, since Dut is more effective than Fin and no more risky i feel Dut is the obvious choice, Fin is like paying full price for half the fun.

The best is of course to not use any medications at all, if you are ok with losing hair that is.

Speak with your doctor prior & have a good read up on this forum.

propicia / Fin is the same thing but different names as propicia is the branded name & Fin is the genetic which is cheaper.

same goes for rogain/ Min

when you use both drugs they can slow down your MPB for yrs upto 2 decade's if & only if you feel that Fin/propicia has lost effect then again speak with your doctor for Dut as a last resort only.

The poster above is giving you half cocked information, have a read up & have a chat with your HT doctor so he or she can give you the pro & cons, of which if you say your having a HT & had a consultation then your doctor should have schooled you on Medications for MPB, so did he?

May I ask who you have chosen to untake your surgery?

Research, research & more research.

I wish you the best.

Edited by ontop

Theres currently no basis for saying Dut is a last resort, it is more effective than Fin and no worse side effects. Unless anyone has a link to proof that is more than just their personal opinion its clear that Dut is the way to go. Beware of OPINIONS, everyone here got one but when asked to back it up they often resort to personal attacks when their personal opinions start leaking like a spaghetti strainer.

For non-scientific and non-personal-profit experience with Dut this site is the place to start: Twins Hair Loss | Stop Thinning Hair Loss | Dutasteride

Im starting my own Dut experience soon, as soon as i dropped by Philippines to pick up some generic pills during my Asian vacation later this month. I have previously used both Minoxidil and Finasteride, Min didnt work at all and Fin had a limited effect on me - not worth continuation, call it a mistake if you want. Learn from other peoples mistakes, its faster and cheaper.

Nobody jumps straight on Dut without trying Fin first & I find it very hard that any HT doctor would wright you out a ticket for Dut from the very start again without trying Fin first.

Its immature to advice members to jump straight on Dut / Avodart from the get go.

Can you listen to yourself? Are you for real dude?

Do you think its that easy? Do you think that everybody react the same on the same medications?

Every human body works different, if only it was that easy!

Stop telling people to jump straight on Dut its not cool.

Nobody jumps straight on Dut without trying Fin first & I find it very hard that any HT doctor would wright you out a ticket for Dut from the very start again without trying Fin first.

Its immature to advice members to jump straight on Dut / Avodart from the get go.

Immature to recommend the best? Look at Twin A in my link, 10 years and no hair loss due to Dut, is that immature also? You dont see results like that from Fin, and you still havent provided proof that Dut is more dangerous than Fin. And as I predicted you went for a personal attack by calling me immature, so typical people with strong feelings for his own personal opinion. Feelings but no facts.

Facts please, now. Try to have a mature discussion where you present facts without calling me things.

Stop telling people to jump straight on Dut its not cool.

Wtf is this, are you trying to dictate me what to say, but cant present a single support for your claims that Dut is only a last resort? Are YOU listening to yourself? Start providing some better argumentation than a almost 50 year old man telling us whats cool and not. Or provide links to prove that your opinion is more COOL than mine. What a ridiculous claim, youre so cool and im not ahaha

Guys calm down lol.

Thanks for your input.

I am getting hairline and temples fixed next month and my crown or top (whatever the term is) is thinning but only really visible under direct light. I want it to either get better or stay that way for 5-7 years. After that ill go for another procedure and get that fixed as well.

So Propecia + Rogain should be my strategy for atleast year and worst case scenario if there's no improvement than go to Dut.

And i understand i should consult doctor and i'll. Cant buy anything without prescription here anyway but wanted to know what people's personal preference or experience is with these drugs.

Maybe, but remember its too late to go to Dut when the hair has thinned too much, thats why i asked you to look at those twins who really COMPLETELY halted their hair loss with 0.5mg Dut. 2003-2013 without a lost hair for Twin A, you really will not find similar success stories with any other drug. I know of many Fin users who had several HT due to continued thinning, you can find some right here on this forum too.

Also read the dutasteride thread in this subforum, i posted a link to a study there, that looked on Dut in different dosaging, as you will see its not half bad. Other forums like this has a more positive view on Dut with more personal experiences.

Heres more important info, https://baldingblog.com/2005/11/22/can-miniaturization-be-reversed/

In my opinion, I would hold off on the minoxidil and stick to the Propecia for the first 8 months. If the hair loss is as you have defined, then there is a high possibility that it will reverse because it seems to work best for short term genetic hair loss. If you take other drugs like minoxidil and make too many changes at once, then you will never know which one worked best and you’ll be ‘hooked’ on both of them for years. Play your bet out and try the 8 months of Propecia first

As you can see its not only me who doubt minox having any effect, dont get stuck with both, lots of people use Minox in addition to effective meds like Fin/Dut and think the Minox had anything to do with their result. The only guy in this forum who say Minoxidil is great was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and is likely taking Synthroid (or similar, its a thyroid steroid), a drug that is known to regrow hair in hypothyroid patients. Just base your research on facts, not feelings and 50-yearold "coolness", and youll be fine, the truth is out there and youre smart enough to eventually draw your own conclusion.

Ask any Doctor on here would he or she prescribe Dut for somebody who has not tried Fin first & when all of them say No they wouldn't.... ask them why?

Im sure they give you answers you won't agree to because

Obviously your more qualified than a doctor itself.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully my answer will serve as most simple & understandable:

Rogaine= a topical you put on your head (primarily crown) and it sparks a bit of hair regrowth. TIL YOU STOP TAKING :-)

Minoxidil in Rogaine. Makes it work! Usually in 1-5% amount.

Finasteride = THE SAVIOR!!! It slows down hair loss. Available in pill. Will see results closer to a year after.

Propecia = generic version of Finasteride.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)