Is permenant smp on the scalp safe?

LT

Thanks Hairthere for the explanation about Beauty Medical pigments. I'm still very hesitant about getting temporary or permanent SMP on my scalp. I've been screwed before with 2 failed HT that left 2 strip scars on the back of my head. I would have to see one of your clients in person before I do anything. It still concerns me the pigments eventually pass through the body.

I have had permanent SMP done on my strip scars by a supposedly top practicener in NYC back in March. At first it looked pretty good now 8 months later it looks like it may have changed a little bit in color and it's not totally undetectable. Seems like anything I do about fricken hairloss doesn't work for me. I don't need to ruin my life anymore with a fake looking SMP on my scalp so am very cautious.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Permanent is safe on scalp....I am aware of a couple of cases of "reported health issues" that may or may have not been caused by the individual's SMP- you can do the math for yourself on that ;)

Regarding "safe" in the quality sense of the word, I have only seen a few bad permanent results in person but they were done by unskilled tattoo artists using body tattoo equipment. the bad results are not near as common as some might have you believe

......like any other service in the world from restaurants to nail salons, there are good and bad providers so to avoid the bad just use common sense when choosing a place.

Mostly the negative stories you will hear about the permanent smp industry are from tricopigmentation providers and promoters, but permanent micropigmentation has been around forever and tricopigmentation is the new kid on the block....many more unknowns with the temporary trico smp .

IMO If you want temporary results you may as well use hair loss concealer instead of shelling out loads of cash every year to have your entire head tattooed over and over again...go through that process once a year?....no thanks

Edited by HairingIsCaring

• 2 weeks later...

I do not personally believe there is even any debate on whether or not permanent pigments are safe....they clearly are.

The question is are temporary pigments safe?

Well respected HT surgeon and SMP provider Dr. Rassman says this regarding Temporary Pigments:

Temporary SMP

July 25th, 2015

There are folks that offer temporary SMP, but the 'pigments' contain silicone and other substances which migrate from the place under the skin to deep in the fat, up the blood vessels and silicone has been found in the lungs and brain, so I question the temporary nature of these agents as their temporary nature means that they are moving out of the area that they were placed. See web site below

Web reference:http://scalpmicropigment.com/

https://www.realself.com/question/seattle-wa-option-temporary-smp#gref

The FDA is just beginning to examine the safety of tattoo inks and permanent cosmetic pigments. They have admitted this has not been a public health priority, so little has been done to actually regulate the manufacturing.

Think Before You Ink: Are Tattoos Safe?

Tattoos & Permanent Makeup: Fact Sheet

Regarding Dr. Rassman's claim of temporary SMP being unsafe, this has already been addressed and debunked several times (in fact I referenced it in this very thread and posted a link). But here it is again along with a picture of the pigment Beauty Medical manufactures. I'm also happy to email the EU Standard and Data sheet on the product to anyone that has a genuine interest. It should also be noted that the majority of people trained by Beauty Medical are Hair Transplant surgeons/medical professionals, and there is a good reason why they stand behind this product.

From Milena Lardi/Beauty Medical:

Hello everybody,

I think it is essential to clarify a few things because there seems to be much confusion about the composition of temporary SMP pigments.

I am going to explain to you everything about the temporary pigment used by Beauty Medical and about how this pigment gets absorbed and expelled by human body. I can only give guarantees about my pigment, and of course not about all temporary pigments.

See attached a photo of the composition of Beauty Medical’s pigment.

As you can see, it is composed by iron oxides and titanium bioxides.

These particles undergo several phases in the laboratory:

They are selected, weighed, centrifuged, encapsulated by a bio-compatible membrane so that the oxides don’t touch the skin and consequently don’t cause allergies, mixed with liquid excipients (isopropyl alcohol, soy glycerine and denatured water) and homogenized. They are then packed, sterilized with gamma rays and they undergo microbiological quality controls.

The phase of filtering is essential because only the particles that are smaller than 15 micron are selected. The macrophages of our immune system have a dimension of 20 micron and can therefore absorb those particles after recognizing them as foreign bodies.

Once absorbed by the macrophages of the immune system, the pigment is expelled through urine and faeces, like all other substances our body doesn’t need.

There is no silicon, no substances reaching our brain.

Our pigment abides by the ResAp (2008) on requirements and criteria for the safety of tattoos and permanent make-up. It doesn’t damage the body and doesn’t cause cancer. And in fact it can be used on oncological patients.

Beauty Medical has been dealing with micro pigmentation for over 20 years and we can provide you with all information and documents in an open and transparent way.

pigmento-1.thumb.jpg.1b4a53e04afba538e24625db0f98029a.jpg

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 7 months later...