Gel to enhance illusion of density

I use this miracle product: A 99-cent skin cream (from 99 cent store). Yes, I use it on my head. I first started using this to mix with pseudocatalase...no need to know the reason why. Anyway, it makes my hair even thicker. When it dries, it doesn't make my hair greasy at all. (Picture posted through link below.)

I plan to do a YouTube video on this soon.

Good luck. :)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/coolhairstyle002/albums/4813/2850728507

I don't think any gel is going to make your hair appear thicker. Gel provides your hair with the wet look and wet hair clumps together, making it appear thinner. I might suggest using topical concealer first and then adding hair gel which may help with the thicker appearance of your hair. However, I'm not so sure how hair gel interacts with concealer so that may be something to experiment with on a day that you can relax and don't have to go anywhere immediately.

Best wishes,

Bill

I would go with pomade over gel that gives a matte finish. Check out the Redken or Aveda line. With pomade, it takes away the frizz but gives a clean/dry look which would in a way create an illusion of density.

I know you're sick of concealers and so am I, but what I do is apply pomade to my dry hair and then use Caboki. Add a little more pomade after and it usually turns out pretty well.

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

I don't think any gel is going to make your hair appear thicker. Gel provides your hair with the wet look and wet hair clumps together, making it appear thinner. I might suggest using topical concealer first and then adding hair gel which may help with the thicker appearance of your hair. However, I'm not so sure how hair gel interacts with concealer so that may be something to experiment with on a day that you can relax and don't have to go anywhere immediately.

Best wishes,

Bill

You made a good point. I noticed my hair looks thicker when it's very dry after shampoo

Clays and pastes will work really well too, and I've also found blowdrying my hair makes it look thicker too. However, it ultimately depends on your hair type and the way you cut and style it. I would just start venturing out and trying more "matte" type finishes and see how those types of products work for you - but in overall agreement that gels probably aren't going to be your best bet.

If you live close to a nice salon, it would probably be worth it to set up an appointment for a haircut with a stylist and address your concerns with them. They could give you the proper cut and point you in the right direction for the product you need. More expensive than your standard barber, but could be worth it.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Gel will always make your hair look thinner. As others have said, get a matte paste or clay and blow drying also helps.

I've also noticed being hydrated helps A LOT. I watch my hair like a hawk now since I've had my 2 transplants and notice every little change with it (I guess I'm obsessive like that). If you are dehydrated after a night of drinking, etc.....your hair is going to look thinner the next day and possibly for a couple days. When that happens to me, it always takes a couple days of drinking lots of water for it to appear and feel "normal" after.