Will it be fine to straighten the transplanted hair as soon as it grows?

I hate my curly hair, and I got this HT with the hope to have a decent straight haircut like I did a few years ago. I know some products are harsh on the scalp(I'll avoid them) and that straightening causes some hairs to break (that's okay).

The idea to have my first few hairs grow even frizziers than the others doesn't appeal to me at all. My very first idea is to straighten all of that as soon as the density is acceptable, if my HT was a decent success, by month 6 or 7.

What's your take on this?

TheGman,

You will want to be careful when using chemical or physical straighteners or dyes for that matter soon after a hair transplant. The concern of course, is that you will damage the skin and / or hair and ultimately get a poor result.

It is perfectly safe though to treat transplanted hair once it is fully mature. The hair should be just as strong and durable as native hair. Some people's hair grows faster than others, so it is really a matter of how quickly your transplant has grown out. At 6 months the transplant may be ready to straighten, or it may still be to early. Early and young transplanted hair appears finer and thinner than fully grown mature hair. If you are unsure if the hair is mature, it might be a good idea to check with your surgeon.

It may be a good idea to first give your procedure a good full year to mature...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...