Is it true that dieting can damage a hair transplant?

What I eat after my HT has always been my concern. Because I have had several HTs, my eating habit has changed. Changed for the better. Good diet that is. If you do your research about "foods for hair," that would be the right diet.

Basically, I am now a MUCH healthier eater.

I think having HT is a good incentive for better eating. :)

In my opinion diet has a minimal effect on hair growth,post transplant or hair growth in general , we'v 'll all seen street guys who in most cases have

a bad diet and heavy drink / drug addiction who have luxurious heads of hair and they are not the exception to the rule ,diet will affect the quality of the hair but it wont make any difference to actual hair growth/baldness ,I seem to remember Dr Erdogan who was asked many questions regarding hair transplants, and diet in his opinion made no difference to the failure/sucess of a hair transplant,

I've had a great result but i've been on the piss post op and had lots of stress due to a family situation,

make of that what you will.

Edited by Mick50

Alundra,

I actually researched and wrote an article about this when I used to moderate and write for HTN. Long story short, your diet would have to be so extreme that you were truly nutrient deficient to make a real difference in hair quality. In most normal diets -- even intense ones -- you shouldn't really get to this point.

Farmcat shares a perfect example: this young lady's hair was affected because her body literally couldn't absorb the nutrients -- proteins, fats, vitamins, etc -- it needed to function properly. Most people couldn't really get themselves to this point without truly affecting their health in general in the process.

What's more, any changes that you could potentially have in transplanted follicles would reverse. These guys are strong, and really don't follow the rules when it comes to hair loss. This is why we use them specifically!

If you're really concerned, things like daily multi-vitamins and regular amounts of proteins, "good fats," etc would be good to supplement during your dieting. But I still think you'll be okay regardless.

Stay healthy!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

In a normal diet does taking vitamins and supplements ontop make any real difference?

Absolutely! Some taken on an empty stomach are more effective. I would highly recommend google search "supplements for hair" or "supplements for hair growth."

My hair is healthier and stronger than in my teen years.

I have my own regimen. Go go. ;)

• 6 years later...
On 8/5/2016 at 9:25 AM, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Alundra,

I actually researched and wrote an article about this when I used to moderate and write for HTN. Long story short, your diet would have to be so extreme that you were truly nutrient deficient to make a real difference in hair quality. In most normal diets -- even intense ones -- you shouldn't really get to this point.

Farmcat shares a perfect example: this young lady's hair was affected because her body literally couldn't absorb the nutrients -- proteins, fats, vitamins, etc -- it needed to function properly. Most people couldn't really get themselves to this point without truly affecting their health in general in the process.

What's more, any changes that you could potentially have in transplanted follicles would reverse. These guys are strong, and really don't follow the rules when it comes to hair loss. This is why we use them specifically!

If you're really concerned, things like daily multi-vitamins and regular amounts of proteins, "good fats," etc would be good to supplement during your dieting. But I still think you'll be okay regardless.

Stay healthy!

Thanks for this post. Do carbs matter a lot to hair? I usually try to go Keto when losing weight.

Thanks!