2 Months After 2000 FUT HT, Donor area scar question..advice??

JCBJ

Hello

I've been referencing this site for quite a while now. Everyone here is pretty awesome with advice. I figured this was the best place to get some opinions. I had a 2000 FUT procedure two months ago. I think everything is "healing" as it should, no pain. The occasional pimple in the recipient area that seems to happen about this time. Obviously, no growth yet as expected, but my question / concern is with the donor scar area or more specific the look of my hair back there.

Almost, everywhere you look online most people say the donor scar will be "virtually undetectable" or hidden under a "3" guard. Most pictures I find of the donor area look great as well. I typically get a "4" guard in the back so I thought I would be fine. As you can see form my pictures the "step" in my hair or the "indent or "hat hair look" which looks similar to what your hair looks like after you have been wearing a hat all day, is very noticeable. These photos were taken two weeks after my last hair cut which I got a #5 guard. It's already much longer then I prefer to wear my hair in the back and it still looks like I would need to grow my hair out another 1/2'' to 3/4" or more before my hair would look normal. I do feel and see a couple of hairs just starting to poke through the scar, not continuously thru the length of the scar just very random areas. I know everything is still healing. However, the immediate area around my scar has no hair which is what I'm guessing is causing the indent in my hair below my donor area. I'm not sure if that will always be that way or should I expect hair the grow there as well. Is 2 months out still too early to tell if hair will growth thru the whole scar or is that not expected.

My question is, has anyone else had this issue after a HT? Has it worked itself out? If so, how long should I expect to wait? Should I accept the fact that I will now have to wear my hair 3 times longer than I always have? I think most people get the HT to have more options with your hair not less. I've had to wear a hat more than I ever to hide this. Any help or advice would be awesome.

Thanks

5b32ee013e952_FullSizeRender(3).thumb.jpg.b8514c5d62f45b79939c949a3d0b2e95.jpg

5b32ee015bef4_FullSizeRender(1).jpg.13fcabee62aa68d22dc40c6aac329cbd.jpg

5b32ee0190a1f_FullSizeRender(2).jpg.f3a58783a29b9fda0c43a44fffca8bbf.jpg

Edited by JCBJ

JBCJ,

2 months after surgery is way too early to tell how the scar is going to look. At this stage you could be going through shock loss and are certainly still in the healing stages. Your scar will look "normal" in 6 to 12 months. I know that's quite a range but it's different for everyone.

For what it's worth, I remember feeling quite anxious around the stage you are at now....the first couple of months are the most difficult. But hang in there, things will work itself out.

In the event there are problems after 12 months, I suggest speaking to your physician. But most scars turn out quite fine and virtually undetectable if you've selected a quality physician.

Best wishes,

Bill

JBCJ,

2 months after surgery is way too early to tell how the scar is going to look. At this stage you could be going through shock loss and are certainly still in the healing stages. Your scar will look "normal" in 6 to 12 months. I know that's quite a range but it's different for everyone.

For what it's worth, I remember feeling quite anxious around the stage you are at now....the first couple of months are the most difficult. But hang in there, things will work itself out.

In the event there are problems after 12 months, I suggest speaking to your physician. But most scars turn out quite fine and virtually undetectable if you've selected a quality physician.

Best wishes,

Bill

That "indent look" took me 5 months to go away. I had to wait for hidden shock loss (covered by hair) to completely shed, then completely grow back

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the advice. Its reassuring to know. I was pretty sure it would grow in just based off of other ht photos I've seen. You can look at a 1,000 pictures of other people's HT however when it's your own it's a whole different thing.

Take care

JCBJ,

There's nothing wrong with asking questions. Sometimes it's nice to get that extra reassurance even though we've seen other photos with our own eyes, we want to hear it from someone else about our particular case. Before I was the managing publisher of this community, I was posting very regularly mostly about my own concerns related to my experience and constantly looking for reassurance and support. But it honestly really helped, I don't know what I would have done without this forum. So I'm very proud and honored to be able to give back even after all these years :-).

Bill

JC,

Looks like some temporary shock loss around the incision line. It will likely start resolving around 3 months and look pretty well resolved around 6. Keep in mind, however that this timetable can be prolonged because technically it can take up to 6 months for the follicles to really "wake up."

But, the most common resolution I see is starting around 3 months and pretty well resolved around 6. And remember that shock loss in the donor is almost universally temporary.

So all in all, should resolve well in just a little while.

Happy growing.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I agree it is too early but I think virtually undetectable at a e guard is a generous statement. It will have to do both with how you scar and your hair characteristics. A 3 would probably be shorter than I would be comfortable with. I get a 5 and never worry about it. I think I have done a 4 and if I tilted my head down I could see a slight line but it would be very unnoticeable, but I don't have super dense donor and I have a high contrast in hair and scalp. So, I think most people are OK and 4 and some at a 3 but I don't think that three is the standard

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 months later...

It's has gotten much better within the last month.. I think the hair is finally coming in thru donor scar so it's not as noticeable. I'm exactly 5 months in. If I cut my hair shorter than a guard 6 I can still see the "line" in certain lights.

This picture was just taken today and I got my hair cut two days ago. I'm comfortable with a guard 6 on the sides for now. Hopefully it will continue to grow in so I'll have the option to go shorter if I feel like it.

It's definitely something to consider when choosing which type of procedure to have. If I have any future procedures I would most likely go with a FUE (and hope the price goes down by the time I choose to have it).

IMG_3918.thumb.jpg.380b6d038f3f1de0c819ae02da0b3cf4.jpg

IMG_3922.thumb.jpg.11f1fcd148c66e8bf3fade5b7ad9f39c.jpg

IMG_3903.thumb.jpg.af001c2f916c351a87a21e5406fe8768.jpg