Combing my hair opposite to its natural direction - Leads to hair loss?

Hey everyone,

I have a general question here that I hope you might answer.

I always comb my hair in a direction opposite to the natural one (i.e. I comb them to the left when I feel that they are naturally to the right). In other words, it's like I force them to one side when they are naturally biased to go to the other.

Question: Does this by any means result in hair loss or worsens my hair loss? ( images of my hair loss can be found here: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184043-am-i-good-candidate-hair-transplant.html ) Or it doesn't have anything to do with that?

Would really appreciate the feedback :) Thanks!

That's an interesting question. But don't worry, you can comb your hair any direction you want. That won't cause or facilitate any hair loss. Most hair loss is genetic and those who experience it will lose hair no matter what they do to style their hair. Hair loss treatments such as finasteride and Rogaine may slow the process down, stop it or even help to reverse it. But other than hair looking a little funny combed a different direction (at least it does in my case), you don't have to worry about losing any hair.

Best wishes,

Bill

I've always wondered if this is increasing my hair loss, but never combed my hair to its natural direction because I think it doesn't suit me.

Thanks for the replies guys, will keep combing the same way if that's the case!

No it won't cause any additional loss unless styling it that way would cause undue tension on the hair shafts.

If anything, styling the hair in the opposite direction can create an illusion of more fullness and body...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

No it won't cause any additional loss unless styling it that way would cause undue tension on the hair shafts.

If anything, styling the hair in the opposite direction can create an illusion of more fullness and body...;)

Gillenator, indeed this is one of the reasons why I style it in the opposite direction!

What do you mean undue tension on the hair shafts? I believe I do cause tension on my hair when forcing it the other way. Can you please clarify or elaborate on what you mean? Thanks a lot!

Gillenator, indeed this is one of the reasons why I style it in the opposite direction!

What do you mean undue tension on the hair shafts? I believe I do cause tension on my hair when forcing it the other way. Can you please clarify or elaborate on what you mean? Thanks a lot!

Sure my friend. The longer the hair is in length and the more acute angle that you pull the hair in the opposite direction, the more tension that can be created. The result of this? Just several more hair strands pulled out whenever you groom.

I have done this myself and whenever I brush my hair in the opposite direction, it seems that I lose more hair than if I brush it in the natural direction.

Not a big concern but just as long as you are conscious of it and careful how aggressive you may be in your daily grooming...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY