Accutane, Hair Loss and Hair Transplants

surecan

Does anyone here have experience with the drug Accutane (isotretinoin), which is used to treat acne?

Is it safe to have a strip hair transplant while on the drug? Could the drug affect scar healing or in any way adversely affect the transplanted hair's growth? Is it safe to start a course of accutane treatment a few months AFTER a hair transplant procedure?

I have read that hair loss is an potential Accutane side effect for some people, and that the drug thins the epidermis... it also limits the function and size of sebaceous glands, which helps to clear acne. It's powerful stuff... leaves the skin dry, chaps the lips... but it's supposed to be effective for cystic acne.

Does anyone here have experience with the drug Accutane (isotretinoin), which is used to treat acne?

Is it safe to have a strip hair transplant while on the drug? Could the drug affect scar healing or in any way adversely affect the transplanted hair's growth? Is it safe to start a course of accutane treatment a few months AFTER a hair transplant procedure?

I have read that hair loss is an potential Accutane side effect for some people, and that the drug thins the epidermis... it also limits the function and size of sebaceous glands, which helps to clear acne. It's powerful stuff... leaves the skin dry, chaps the lips... but it's supposed to be effective for cystic acne.

Accutane can dramatically increase scarring. We would not offer surgery to anyone until being off of accutane for at least 6 months.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Isn't Accutane a derivative of Vitamin A and should the consumption of food stuff containing high quantities of Vitamin A be avoided prior to hair transplant surgery?

Additionally should the use of spironolactone laced with Retin-A be avoided prior to and after hair transplant surgery?

take care...

• 2 weeks later...

You would have to eat a ton of vitamin A to have significant problems. Given that you urinate out all vitamins except A, K, E and D; those are the only ones you can really wreak havoc with; but a normal diet; or at most a "one a day" is more than enough for the average american.

The vitamin/supplement industry is for the most part without ethics and easily on par with LLLT in competetion for the fleecing of america award.

Before I get bombarded with posts about this and that supplement let me say a couple of things.

1. Lots of folks that I work with and are friends with take supplements. If they want me to operate on them, just stop taking all of that stuff 10 days preop. Then when the stitches come out do whatever you want.

2. I bet there is something to supplement and vitamin use, but I bet it varies tremendously from person to person and in 30 years with gene mapping we will know exactly what cocktail everyone should take for maximum benefit. Til then I think its hit or miss.

3. Prior to me taking supplements or giving them to my own relatives, I would want one, just one, and one only, controlled, blinded study showing efficacy of benefit, to be published in a peer reviewed u.s. medical journal. That is not asking too much for a 150 Billion dollar industry.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thank you, everyone, for the responses!

I was wondering if the same rule (no surgery for at least 6 months after stopping Accutane) applies if a patient had been on a low or ultra-low dose of the medication such as 1.5-5mg/day for a few months. (I think the common normal dose is around 60mg/day, depending on body weight)

• 4 years later...

Accutane was excellent for me and my younger brother.

I had acne as a teenager which I remember only too well. Taking the drug for 3-6 months as a 16 year old cleared my skin up and never had a spot again. My brother again had a similar experience.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

i agree with chrisdav, accutane is amazing for getting rid of acne. it left me wondering for some time if it started some of the other problems off, or if mpb would have happened anyway. it's important to do research and get all these different opinions

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly, a soldier we worked with a few years ago had a great result with a smallish frontal case. He emailed me about 2 weeks ago saying he'd started on accutane for back and chest acne about 3 months before and he felt he'd lost a lot of hair on top and in the crown. Now I don't know that accutane is to blame, or if its coincidental, or if he just noticed more loss but accuatane can affect your hair.

Bottom line is that my main worry with accuatane is scarring. MOST of our hair patients do not take accutane for ongoing acne..as they've gotten older, but its worth a serious discussion with your dermatologist before starting it.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Interestingly, a soldier we worked with a few years ago had a great result with a smallish frontal case. He emailed me about 2 weeks ago saying he'd started on accutane for back and chest acne about 3 months before and he felt he'd lost a lot of hair on top and in the crown. Now I don't know that accutane is to blame, or if its coincidental, or if he just noticed more loss but accuatane can affect your hair.

Bottom line is that my main worry with accuatane is scarring. MOST of our hair patients do not take accutane for ongoing acne..as they've gotten older, but its worth a serious discussion with your dermatologist before starting it.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Dr Lindsey

Any associated problems with topical Retin A?? I have used it on my scalp in the past since it was supposed to aid in absorption of minoxidil. I am still using it on my face but stopped using on my scalp approx 6 months ago. I would like to get a HT in approx 3 months. Any issues ???

Edited by Birdness
Addition

It would not be a problem for me if I were either doing your case or getting it done. That being said...let your doctor know as they may have other thoughts.

Dr. Lindsey

McLean, VA

• 10 years later...