Clarifications Regarding Shock Loss

Hey everyone,

I am considering a hair transplant in a year or so when I become 24 and I've been doing a lot of research regarding this topic.

One thing that I would like to learn more about is shock loss. Does shock loss always happen for men with HTs (in the recipient as well as the donor)? My hair is thinning from the front up until the vertex; there is coverage on the whole area but the hair is very thin (the scalp is visible when looking from the top).

Many people talk about shock loss when it comes to FUE. Suppose I did my procedure and hairs were moved from my donor to the area where the hair was thinning. I know that there is the possibility for shock loss in the recipient area as well as the donor.

My question is: Let's say the thin hairs were destined to fall 5 or 10 years from now. After the hair transplant, I experienced shock loss in the recipient area. Will the non-transplanted hairs that were already there before the procedure fall out permanently and only the transplanted hairs will remain? Or is this just temporary and they will grow back again?

Any advice from experts, patients who have had HTs and experienced this first hand, or anyone with good knowledge about the topic are highly appreciated, since I am receiving many contradicting replies upon consulting with surgeons.

Thanks

Kalab23,

Shock loss does not happen in all cases. When it does, it is more common in the recipient area than the donor.

Generally, most of the affected hair will regrow in time. Only the most fragile miniaturized hairs may be permanently lost.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Kalab23,

Shock loss does not happen in all cases. When it does, it is more common in the recipient area than the donor.

Generally, most of the affected hair will regrow in time. Only the most fragile miniaturized hairs may be permanently lost.

Thanks David.

So even if I am thinning on top up until the crown and I did a hair transplant in between the thinning hairs on the this recipient area, it doesn't mean that I will lose all the thin non-transplanted hairs due to shock loss right? Most of the thin hairs (not the most fragile miniaturized hairs) will grow back?

Further, the most fragile hairs that you talked about may be permanently lost, but it is not 100% sure that I will lose these permanently due to shock loss right?

Apologies for the number of questions, just trying to learn as much as possible about hair transplants and their consequences before sitting for one!

Those individuals with a diffused thinning pattern are typically at a higher risk for shock loss.

And it sounds like the type of pattern that you have Kalab. But there are variables. What are some of them?

It depends how diffused the hair is. And I believe that is what David is referring to. Other variables are the size of the session, how the individual responds to the trauma, the instrumentation used for making the incisions, things like that.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Shockloss can happen. I actually know quite a few folks that didnt see most of their shocked hairs return. They have different hair types. Could be the surgical protocol that caused it. But it can happen either when high density implantation occurs between native hairs in recipient zone or in highly compressed extraction patterns in donor zones. Transection can cause it too. For some it may be temporary but for some it may be permanent. I know folks with thick course hair may be able to hide it better if it turns out to be permanent shockloss.

Approach this very carefully and make sure the doc has the best interests for you and your safety. Massive megasession via FUE can possibly cause it too. So a safe surgical protocol with highly experienced FUE doc may improve chances for success. A doctor has to safely extract and harvest the donor grafts and create proper recipient sites. Good luck with everything

As Gillenator and Sean have added, there are variables that come into play. The truth is that no one can effectively predict which patients will experience shock loss and which ones won't. Also, it's impossible to predict how much of that shock loss may be permanent.

I've had three transplants (both strip and FUE) and I have never experienced any substantival shock loss.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website