Does retrograde alopecia means you can't do hair transplant?

Hey guys,

I'm almost norwood 7, thinning all over the sides\temples area and nap.

Seems that the donor area is still strong.

I need ONLY 500 grafts to fill my temples since i'm wearing hair system so i'm not looking to have any transplated hairs into my Hairline or crown or whatever

Just 500 grafts in temples.

Is it possible to do that if you have retrograde alopecia? Some people say you can't do HT and some people say it just limited your donor area.

Would like to hear what you think,

Thanks in advance!

It is going to limit your donor for sure and if you were requiring a large session you might be advised that it would not be possible to acheive the results that you are hoping for, however 500 grafts into the temples will most likely be possible even with a NW7 and retrograde.

All the best.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

It is going to limit your donor for sure and if you were requiring a large session you might be advised that it would not be possible to acheive the results that you are hoping for, however 500 grafts into the temples will most likely be possible even with a NW7 and retrograde.

All the best.

Hey guys,

Here's photos of my donor area, i do have you can see some thinning behind it, I also thin at sides, I'm basically shedding everywhere except my donor area although I know that i will shed there too in the future but there will see be hair remaning there.

I'm looking for 500-700 Grafts MAX, just to fill the temples point - Please note- i'm wearing hair system so no need to fill anywhere else.

Or4Ig7f.jpg

CEPDHtq.jpg

Thank you!

Daniel,

I see some possible slight thinning in the donor. However, it's difficult to say if you truly have retrograde alopecia based upon those images alone. It's also difficult to say that you may become a true NW VII based on those images alone. However, I've said before that I think the NW scale, though an excellent tool, sometimes tries to fit something very amorphic and subjective into very strict categories. What I mean by this is what you may not necessarily have all the classic characteristics of a NW VII eventually; BUT it does look like you have the potential for extensive loss in general.

Frankly, I think 500-700 grafts could likely be safely taken from that donor to build the temple points -- and this does tend to naturalize the look of a system.

Make sure you have the donor evaluated in person before trying to use any grafts from it.

Best of luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks a lot for your response!

Well, I'm sure I have it though, I'm 21 years old now, im shedding real bad at my nap and my sides, I already lost my entire hair on the top of my head except few hair that you can see at the photo around the crown.

Norwood 7 doesn't mean totally baldness at top? :o

I see my father, and all his 5 brothers, They are all completely bald, they all became bald by the age 26, they still have hair on their sides but its thin though, his donor area also doesn't thick as it used to be 30 years ago, but it's thick enough i guess.

And what do you mean by " donor evaluated "? If I go to see a doctor like Hasson and Wang, they will be able to tell if the hair that being transplanted from my donor area won't shed in the future?

Thank you!

Hi Daniel,

Didn't know you were only 21. That does lend a little more weight to the "NW VII" argument. Especially if you are seeing aggressive shedding above and in front of the ears, in the nape region, and at the top of the lateral humps. However, the hair loss is still highly unpredictable and your young age makes it even harder to estimate where you will precisely end up.

No, it would mean total baldness on top regardless of whether you truly fall into the NW VII category or if you stay more in the NW VI realm. However, the conversation is almost purely academic at that point. What matters is whether or not you have some stable donor to use for the temple restoration.

Yes, go see a hair loss doctor in person. They will be able to evaluate the donor and tell you whether or not it is stable for this small amount of grafts.

Here's a map and list you can use to find a doctor near you: Hair Transplant Network - Find Hair Transplant Clinics and Doctors

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.