About to book and pay deposit .. but more questions

So I’ve gone back to ASMED as asked to book me in for surgery on Tue 11th October. They sent me an email this morning with lots of info and I need to pay the deposit within the next 10 days to confirm the booking. But before I go ahead and make it official (i.e pay the deposit) I wanted to check a few things and get a bit more advice.

1) Folliculitis - One of the conditions that ASMED lists as potentially presenting a problem with the operation is folliculitis. Now I don’t believe I have folliculitis on my head as I’ve never had an issues and Dr Erdogan didn’t say anything when he examined me during my London consult so hopefully that’s fine but I do sometimes suffer from folliculitis on my chest, back and thighs (think it was caused by waxing a few years back). If I’ve had it on these areas should I be worried about my head? I plan to speak to the clinic of course but curious as to whether any others had had folliculitis elsewhere on their body but then had a HT with no issues?

2) Five-night stay? – I’m a bit of an anxious person so I was going to stay on the full 5 nights in case there are any post-surgery issues. I know a lot of people fly back ASAP but in hindsight would you have stayed longer? I’m going to be off work for 2 weeks so I’m happy to stay but I'm thinking I might be bored. :D

3) Washing your head post-surgery – I think I'd be super nervous doing this especially in the crucial first few days. If I say on an extra few days will I be able to go to the clinic and get one of the team to do it?

4) Swelling – Assuming I stay until the Saturday morning (4th post-surgery day) will any or most of the swelling have subsided by then?

5) Radisson Blu – Has anyone paid the extra 40 euros a night for the suite? Wondering if I should treat myself or is it not worth it? In terms of payment, do I settle the room (and any extras, room service etc) all directly with the Radisson or do you pay the main accommodation costs to ASMED? Just wondering as I'd ideally like to put them element on my credit card?

6) Paying the deposit via UK bank? I have a branch of my bank just up the road from the office so I was going to pop into do the transfer but I’m curious as to whether it’s a big issue as it’s a UK bank account into a non EU account and its also in euros?

7) Istanbul - Did you do any post-surgery sightseeing? Does the city feel safe? If I'm staying a few extra days and I'm up for it (is that likely?) then it would be nice to do some sightseeing although whenever I mention Turkey everyone looks at me like I'm entering Syria or something.:rolleyes:

Okay, sorry for all the questions. Any answers/advice appreciated.

Turkey isn't the safest spot at the moment. Istanbul has had numerous terrorist attacks recently. it's luck of the draw really, but it's probably slightly higher risk than some other places. The reality is, these nutters could strike anywhere.

Hi Jax, I think we been in touch before via email the past few years? I thought I chip in as I recently went back to Asmed.

1) Not sure about this.

2) I stayed for 4 days. I got bored on the 3rd day as you be on your own and the hotel is in a business district. So not much to do around im the area.

3) Yes, all the time you spend in Turkey. They will wash the hair everyday for you. It is nothing major or to be scared of doing it yourself. You only apply a small amount of pressure on the grafts. It doesn't dislodge them this way. I did my washing my self once I got back home.

4) That be the start of the swelling and it lasts for 10 days. Makes no difference staying more days or staying less days. The swelling will happen. The flight back home will make it worse

5) You pay for the accommodation with Asmed. No dealing with the hotel. Apart for the mini-bar fee. I had a normal single room and it was huge. If you pay using credit card it will cost you more I think? Best to find out

6) Do not use your bank to make the deposit. They will rip you off with the exchange rate. I used HiFX to send my deposit both times. And I brought all my euro's from travel premier.co.uk They give the closeted rate to the actual market rate.

7) Istanbul is very safe indeed. It is just the media creating hype. If that is a problem why chose Turkey in the first place? The people are friendly, the women are beautiful, the hospitally is great. The hotel is in the asian side. Most of the famous tourist spots are in the european side. I tried going over to the asian side but too much traffic. As you have to cross the Bosphorus bridge. You cross this both times if you land in Atturk airport. I was told by the hotel it cost me 100 lira by taxi to go the asian side due to heavy traffic. But i did go to some malls in the european side.

I had my main HT surgery done in Istanbul just under six months ago.

To address some of your points.

I flew home the following day after surgery. Afternoon time.

Returned back to the clinic the morning after surgery to have my hair washed and instructed how to do it for when I returned home. It really is easy, just follow the guidelines and instructions.

Also, I'm glad I returned home the next day, I still felt fine, as if I could undergo more surgery. But the follwing day back home, I felt groggy and pretty misersble, just under the weather, no regrets but just felt abit like crap. I remember thinking to myself, I'm glad I flew home from Istanbul the day after surgery rather than having the journey ahead of me on the second day post op.

With regards to paying via your bank. You can set up the clinics bank details on your online banking. There will be a trsnsfer fee from your bank and the clinics bank.

If you want to treat yourself by upgrading your hotel room, go for it if you'd like.

I got no frontal swelling at all. But always slept at an elevated angle on a travel pillow for the first ten days or so.

On the safety issue. I treated my visit as mainly non-touristy, so just essential travel to clinic/hotel trips and felt safe. Went out to one day for a few hours with my brother and felt safe. Also I get the Syria thing, but that's the border at the other end of Turkey. You're going to Istanbul, the european side of the country.

You can get your Turkish visa online. Cost about 20 dollars.

2) I stayed for 4 days. I got bored on the 3rd day as you be on your own and the hotel is in a business district. So not much to do around im the area.

3) Yes, all the time you spend in Turkey. They will wash the hair everyday for you. It is nothing major or to be scared of doing it yourself. You only apply a small amount of pressure on the grafts. It doesn't dislodge them this way. I did my washing my self once I got back home.

4) That be the start of the swelling and it lasts for 10 days. Makes no difference staying more days or staying less days. The swelling will happen. The flight back home will make it worse

5) You pay for the accommodation with Asmed. No dealing with the hotel. Apart for the mini-bar fee. I had a normal single room and it was huge. If you pay using credit card it will cost you more I think? Best to find out

6) Do not use your bank to make the deposit. They will rip you off with the exchange rate. I used HiFX to send my deposit both times. And I brought all my euro's from travel premier.co.uk They give the closeted rate to the actual market rate. .

Thanks Yaz89. Not sure if we have chatted via email before? was it under a different user name? Anyway thanks helping with so many of my questions, that really helps.

I flew home the following day after surgery. Afternoon time. Returned back to the clinic the morning after surgery to have my hair washed and instructed how to do it for when I returned home. It really is easy, just follow the guidelines and instructions.

Also, I'm glad I returned home the next day, I still felt fine, as if I could undergo more surgery. But the follwing day back home, I felt groggy and pretty misersble, just under the weather, no regrets but just felt abit like crap. I remember thinking to myself, I'm glad I flew home from Istanbul the day after surgery rather than having the journey ahead of me on the second day post op.

Thanks Leindub, between your comments and Yaz89 I'm now thinking I might head back home back sooner. Trying to find the balance in my mind between wanting to get home and having the peace of mind of the clinic nearby so I panic about the swelling etc.

Turkey isn't the safest spot at the moment. Istanbul has had numerous terrorist attacks recently. it's luck of the draw really, but it's probably slightly higher risk than some other places. The reality is, these nutters could strike anywhere.

Lol, not sure any of that statement reassured me :D

On the safety issue. I treated my visit as mainly non-touristy, so just essential travel to clinic/hotel trips and felt safe. Went out to one day for a few hours with my brother and felt safe. Also I get the Syria thing, but that's the border at the other end of Turkey. You're going to Istanbul, the european side of the country.

To be honest I didn't actually realise there had been any (let alone four) terrorist attacks in Istandbul this year. I'll be honest and say this info does scare me somewhat, although I have being doing some research online and the last few attacks haven't been anywhere near the clinic or the surrounding area. Also while the UK Governenment (Foreign Office) travel advice does have a warning for Turkey, its only that they peoiple should avoid travel to within 10 km of the border with Syria and to the city of Diyarbakir. This all gives me a little more peace of mind, but equally, sightseeing is now off the agenda. I think I'll follow your lead Leindub and limit my travel between the airport, hotel and clinic.

Anyway, thanks all again for help with my quesitons, its really helped and also the clinic email back earlier and advised I should be fine with regards my folliculitis concerns as Dr Erdogan examined my scalp and it was fine. Its a bank holiday in the UK on Monday so I think I'll take a few days to decide on how many nights to stay and then try and finalise everything next week.

Hey Jax, I am confusing you with someone else! My bad. The reality is; no in is safe anywhere in the world. For example, 13,286 people have been killed in the USA alone due to gun crime. Furthermore, 26,819 have been injured in the same year. In the UK in 2014, 1,775 have been killed in car accidents with 22,807 seriously injured. There are "nutters" everywhere (if you wanna put it in layman terms).

Hey Jax, I am confusing you with someone else! My bad.

No worries :D

The reality is; no in is safe anywhere in the world. For example, 13,286 people have been killed in the USA alone due to gun crime. Furthermore, 26,819 have been injured in the same year. In the UK in 2014, 1,775 have been killed in car accidents with 22,807 seriously injured. There are "nutters" everywhere (if you wanna put it in layman terms).

You know what, I've kinda made peace with this now. As you suggest more people die each year from accident. On balance I think the odd's of getting caught up in anything is very unlikely. I'm just trying to make the decision now on what day to come back. With surgery on the Tuesday I can't leave before Wed afternoon anyway, but I'm inclined to stay until Friday. That way I can get my hear/hair washed again at the clinic on Thursday and then get a flight early morning on Friday back to London. No to decide as darn price with Turkish Airlines has already just up from ?115 GBP a few days ago to ?137 GBP today. :mad: BTW, who did you fly with?

Hey Jax. I flew with Turkish Airlines. It cost me around 125-130 pounds? But I booked 6 months beforehand! I think prices change daily due to supply and demand.

Hey Jax. I flew with Turkish Airlines. It cost me around 125-130 pounds? But I booked 6 months beforehand! I think prices change daily due to supply and demand.

Cool, I'm inclined to fly Turkish Airlines, but if the price shoots up quick a bit more then I might go with Pegasus, just a shame each only seem to have one flight daily.