Hair shedding with washing

So everytime I shower, I noticed I shed at least 10 hairs when I touch my wet hair. I realize it's normal to lose 50 hairs/d, but in the context of a Norwood 5, should I be worried?

Does this mean my hairloss isn't stabilized. Iam 33, 6 months post op.

Should I be doubling my dose of propecia ?

Thanks

I have a fairly full head of hair. I'm 37 I lose at least 30 in the shower every day. I have for the last 15 years at least. I try not to worry about losing hair and just hope it grows back. I wear product in my hais so I think a lot of the hair is locked in until I wash it. Also, with a full head of hair, up to 100 hairs a day can be normal shedding.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I wouldnt double down on dosage Don174. I would incorporate saw palmetto and biotin along with proprecia.

I've been taking biotin as well for past 2 months .hasnt made a difference

Losing 10 hair shafts daily is remarkably low. My guess is that you are probably losing more than that just from grooming much less from shampooing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Im taking 5 mg proscar (finasteride) and im not sure if imgetting any better results than when I wastaking 5 mg and im definitely noticing that its messing with lebido...

Are you taking 5 mg daily? If so, I highly recommend that you talk with your prescribing doctor about taking 5 mg daily. Only 1 mg of low dose finasteride is recommended and taking more than that will not raise the efficiency level.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Losing 10 hair shafts daily is remarkably low. My guess is that you are probably losing more than that just from grooming much less from shampooing.

Yeh I lose another 5-10 with combing my hair. So, for a hair loss suffer, ok or concerning ?

Yeh I lose another 5-10 with combing my hair. So, for a hair loss suffer, ok or concerning ?

You are definitely on the low side. People that do not even have MPB lose more than that on a daily basis...;)

Gillenator

Hey thank you gillanator!I willtalk to hom tomorrow!I was under the impression if I took 5mginstead of 1 mg it would help stop any hairloss! Thank you again for letting me know that there is not a difference!

You're welcome my friend. You were probably taking Proscar at 5mg?

If so, Proscar is a medication used for treating the swelling of the prostrate gland, typically prescribed for men being treated for prostrate cancer.

The manufacturers of Propecia (Merck) have substantiated ongoing clinical trials that show only 1 mg of finasteride is needed daily for effectively treating MPB...:)

Gillenator

Gillenator!Hey thank you seriously! Yeah I still had hairloss and for sme reason I figured upping the dosage would help but i never factored in the normal hairloss from 600-100 hairs a day. I have been taking minoxil 5% (foam) every since my ht and it seems like im seeing some light activity upin the recipient area.

I was always under the impression that they were pretty much the same thing finasteride and proscar andprescribed for the same thing. I had no idea that proscar is more for cancer treatment. Good looking out man!!!thanks for the heads up. Im currently taking saw palmetto, biotin, minoxil,proscar, fish oil, and biotin. TOTAL OVERKILL I know..... but none the less can feel like im losing the fight..

You're very welcome. Finasteride is in fact the active ingredient in both Propecia and Proscar. It's just that Propecia was developed for treating hair loss at 1 mg per tablet and Proscar is prescribed for treating the swelling of the prostrate at 5 mg per tablet. But essentially both have the sane ingredient but prescribed for two completely different things.

Gillenator

My hair looks much better and thicker when i don't wash it regulary with shampoo.

I hear sweat is not good for the scalp so with summer and life style i.e excercie I have to wash it everyday, sometimes twice a day with shampoo.

If hair is shedding with washing should one not wash as much ?

Sweating is not bad for the scalp IMHO because sweating allows for the secretion of natural scalp oils which helps keep the scalp moist and also good for the hair itself.

In fact, over-washing can do the opposite, dry the scalp and hair.

Gillenator