Can SMP be made to look like a buzzcut?

My barber shaves my head with a 1.5 guard on top and 0.5 on the sides and I like this look. I am 23 and have been diffuse thinning for the last year with my hairline still at NW 0.5. Still not very noticeable up top (especially if I keep my hair long) but I am already looking at options for when i am no longer able to cover it up. Already on duta to prevent further loss but doubt I will continue for long due to sides.

My question is; can SMP be made to look something like a 1.5 or 1 guard? Or is it only a complete shave 0 guard look? I have black hair and tanned skin.

Edited by pablogaviria

The general consensus will be no, you can't. Because SMP is 2D and real hair is 3D, it could look weird with the 1.5 on top. The exception being if you still have a lot of hair and not any major bald spots then you might be able to pull it off. It sounds like that may be your case with the diffused thinning. I'd take some photos and send them in to a few practitioners.

I usually have clients start off by buzzing down and then they can play around with length. Remember SMP dots are 2-dimensional/flat so you generally need the existing hair to be shaved down to look like flat dots as well so it all blends together. Especially with the sides and back fringes. That being said, I have seen guys get away with a few days growth. This usually works best when there is some semblance of a hairline and you're not completely bald. There is a client on our website (the last one in our Buzz Look photo gallery) who had his hair longer when he came back for followup pictures.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com