Predicting final Norwood state

Hi guys,

I'm interested in information on predicting one's final Norwood state, if that's possible.

In my case, I started noticing my hairline receding at age 18. I'm 30 now. Over the past 12 years, I steadily developed a more receded hairline, a balding spot in the crown, and thinning throughout the rest of the top. Everything has seemed very gradual, with no discernible periods of accelerated loss.

Crucially, I don't believe my areas without any loss have grown over the years. I.e., even though the different areas of the top have thinned at different rates, the same areas have been thinning over all these years, without and further thinning along the sides and back.

This has led me to suspect that my areas around the side and back that are DHT resistant are pretty much "locked in" at this point, while the areas that are already thinning will likely continue to thin, perhaps to full baldness in those areas.

Has this been the experience of others here, or have you had expansion of your thinning areas even after many years had passed since you first started thinning? I'm interested in this because, thus far, it looks like I might be one of those guys with a narrow bald top, but a high back and sides. This would obviously be helpful with a hair transplant because there will be a narrower area to cover, especially since I'm not too concerned about addressing the crown balding. I will not be taking Propecia or any other hair maintenance meds, so I need to plan for future loss with any transplants I get.

Edited by Stil86

It appears that you are headed for a true Norwood 6 class. Yet it's nearly impossible to predict the full extent of one's hair loss because MPB is progressive over a lifetime.

My question is, "Are there any Norwood 7s in your family history?"

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

There are Norwood 7s in my close family, but they, like most Norwood 7s, got there within 10 years or less. Physically, I take after my mother's side more, and there aren't Norwood 7s there. Not sure I believe the "mother's side controls hair loss" adage, though.

I've heard a general figure floating around that most balding occurs within a span of about 15-25 years. Of course you've got to trot out the "you never know, everyone's different" line but, generally speaking, this seems to be true for many men.

In my case, my assumption is that a Norwood 7 would've already become apparent by now if it were ever going to happen. Instead, my best guess is that my current Norwood 5-6 is the pattern I'll always have, and that all that will happen is further thinning within the confines of that pattern.

It's interesting to think about, at least to me :) It's an area that I don't think has been studied a great deal, probably because it's not a real health issue (though it could be a potential sign to keep a closer eye on your prostate). Who are some famous Norwood 7s? Would be interesting to see how long it took them to get there, when they started balding, etc.

Your hair loss stage is similar to mine but you dont have as much loss in the crown. I have a bit more hair mid scalp.

Everyone is different so the best thing to do would be to get an in person check with a reliable, recommended ht doctor.

You would have to grow out your hair and post some more pictures of your back and sides if you want a better opinion.

Dear Mr. Stil86,

Absolute hair loss prediction is impossible but it is fairly safe to say that, in a case like your own, you should hope for the best but plan for the worst. In other words, you have extensive loss now so it is a fair assumption, given your age, that you will progress further so the best course of action is to be conservative with any surgical approach you may consider. Your hair color to skin color contrast is favourable so the good news is that you can have a stronger appearance of coverage without resorting to aggressive surgical treatments.

I look at it as narrow, yes. Broad would be where your side hair starts balding an inch or two above your ears (i.e., Norwood 7). That's really what I'm getting at here. If I were going to be Norwood 7 bald, that pattern would've revealed itself by now.

Dr. Rassman states that the majority of Norwood 7 men have the pattern by age 26

Went and found this is another thread. I would have to agree with this, if you're not proper bald by mid-20s, you'll never be a Norwood 7.

Everyone is different but i can tell you my hair falling stopped by age 30.

Then it slowly, slowly started to thin over the years and i could see more scalp now age 35.

My dad and brother full norwood 7 so some doctors said i would be too while others said i'm stable.

You would have to get an in person check but if your donor is good then you should not have a problem.

Whatever you case may or may not be, it is as Dr. Tejinder Bhatti said above.

Stil,

MPB is a genetic trait that can be passed down from either the maternal or paternal side and in some cases, both sides.

A good surgeon can microscopically exam your lateral humps, coronet area at the base of your crown to see how impeding the miniaturization may be. If those areas are affected and recede in the future, then you may progress to a class 7. But then again, you may not and you might end up a true class 6. You can have this exam every couple of years to see if there any changes taking place.

You're still very young so it's hard to tell. I met a guy some time ago who was just over 60 and recently divorced. He told me that he had a full head of hair until about age 52 and then as he stated, "All hell broke loose". He started to recede from front to back and when I saw him, his frontal third was completely gone. He no doubt is the exception, but MPB can be so unpredictable. His donor was solid and his crown was intact so he felt he had lost all that he was destined to lose.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY