Any thoughts on the Lion implanter pen?

I had a consultation with a reputable FUE surgeon recently. He uses the Lion implanter pen.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on associated trauma minimization to the recipient area, or compromise/benefit to yield?

Edited by Mikey1970

I wonder if it is similar to the Choi Implanter.

Like anything else, the instrument is only as good as the individual using it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I take your point Gill. Also found the following on this, our very own site...

"The Lion Implanter Pen by Hans Biomedical Frequently referred to as the “Hans Implanter” or the “Hans Lion Implanter,” the Lion Implanter (created by Hans Biomedical and co-created by Dr. Jose Lorenzo) is a slightly re-engineered and re-imagined version of the Choi Implanter pen. According to Hans Biomedical, the Lion Implanter is a pen-like device that utilizes the identical hollow needle-plunger design of the Choi Implanter (and creates incision sites and places grafts in the same simultaneous manner). However, Hans Biomedical states that the Lion Implanter features some upgrades and designs that allow for quality graft placement during FUE procedures. Dr. Lorenzo's Explanation of Various Tricks of FUE Including Using the Lion Implanter Pen First, the Lion Implanter features a “clip” that allows for faster and easier needle replacement. This decreases surgical downtime and encourages technicians to change needles when necessary. One disadvantage of implanter pens is excessive scalp trauma from needle dulling, so the ability to change needles quickly and easily helps promote fast, effective needle substitution when appropriate. The Lion Implanter also features several upgrades to the needles themselves. According to Hans Biomedical, the Lion Implanter needles are sharper (to reduce scalp trauma during insertion), made from smooth alloy that reduces pulling and trauma to the scalp during insertion, and feature a wider, more hollowed core, which creates more room for the loaded follicular unit graft. The Lion Implanter needles are also sterilized with Ethylene Oxide gas and sealed in a double-layered blister package. This allegedly reduces contamination and subsequent chances of infection. The Lion needles also feature markings that help the orient the surgeon and ensure the grafts are placed in the correct position. Despite these upgrades, the Lion Implanter is very similar to the Choi Implanter, and possesses similar advantages and disadvantages. However, many FUE experts, including Dr. Michael Vories and Dr. Jose Lorenzo, use the Lion Implanter, and believe it aids in promoting excellent results. Dr. Vories states that he began his FUE practice using the traditional pre-made incision method, but quickly changed to the Lion Implanter after researching the tool. After switching, he saw an increase in the final yield and aesthetic appearance of his FUE results, and now uses the Lion Implanter exclusively. - See more at: FUE Hair Transplant: Implantation Methods and Devices"

Probably the biggest area for concern with me has been the trauma induced to the grafts from an implanter pen.

It does sound like a lot of improvements have been made with the Lion implanter and would be curious to see more of a track record with yield and overall results.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY