Can someone define shedding?

nyny12

I am trying to figure out if I am shedding at a normal pace or is my hairloss getting worse. I read that it is normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day but then I read people shedding from hair loss and having massive sheds and I do not know what they mean.

I lose most hairs 2 times a day. One being when I shower and wash my hair. I will lose probably 15-20 hairs in my hand. Then When I wake up in the morning if I brush my hair I will probably see 10-15 hairs fall down everyday. I am thinning on my two frontal top corners but I do not know if my front is getting worse or if its just normal shedding. Can anyone explain?? Also 10 out of 10 hairs that fall out have the white bulb at the end. Any significance?

losing up to 100 hairs a day is normal. Don't worry about it (and certainly don't count them!). The best thing you can do is to get on some meds.

The white bulb may indicate a dryish scalp/ dandruff.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

I do not think the white bulb is dandruff because it is really attached to the hair and is almost difficult to detach from the hair. Also as far as meds go, would .25 mg of propecia (3 times a week) significantly reduce the chance for side effects or is propecia one of those drug where the dosage doesn't really matter for sides it just depends on how the person reacts?

you really need to stop worrying about possible side effects. take the standard 1mg dose as they suggest and is fda approved and tested and then go from there. too many people make there own dosing plans and then complain when the drug doesnt work. take 1mg/day then come back in a year. simple as that.

I agree with hdude, you really need a starting point. Start at 1mg/day, get your propecia from a doctor who can monitor you for sides. If you get sides, then you can start lowering the dose. There's no point in potentially limiting the drugs effectiveness unless you are actually experiencing sides with the normal dose.

Propecia since July 2008

I see your point but then there are people who say they can't get rid of the sides. I think that people still have sides after they stop because its in their head but then again their sides started from propecia. I am also not making my own dosing plans from scratch. Dr Cooley has made posts that he believes .5mg 3 times a week works almost as well as the FDA 1mg and it also reduces sides. Also SplittingHairs and Hdude, are you guys on propecia? If so what is your regimen with it and how have your results been both in hair loss and sides?

nyny1, I have also heard about some people who have sides after stopping propecia. But as you said, it is most likely a result of them being anxious about such problems. In the clinical trials, all those experiencing sides had them resolved on discontinuing. Sides will most likely take 3 months to go.

I've been on Propecia for 13 months. I'm 23 and approaching a Norwood 3 (but my crown is ok). In terms of hairloss, the drug has stopped it for now. I think I may have even got some fine hairs in at the hairline. With regards to sides, I thought I was experiencing some about a week after taking propecia, but realised I was just getting really anxious. After I learned to control this they went away a few days later. Never had a problem since.

My plan is to continue with propecia, but I'm hoping to do PRP soon also, just to see if I get any improvement.

Propecia since July 2008

Thanks for the info. I am just heading into a nw2. Does propecia work just as good for the front as it does for the middle and crown. My crown and middle are very dense and thick. Also what is your current dosage? Thanks again

The dosage of propecia I am taking is 1mg daily, as this is the tried and tested, clinically proven dosage for hairloss. If I had sides, I would reduce the dose (bearing in mind what Dr cooley has written).

Propecia is generally not as effective for the front as it is for the back. However, I've seen pics of some guy that had good regrowth at the front.Propecia will only help. But keep your expectations realistic - aim to maintain your hair. Good luck.

Propecia since July 2008

Yea when I say "does it work in the front" I did not mean will it regrow the front, I meant will it stop loss in the front. If it can just stop the loss in the front then that would be awesome. If I can keep what I have right now I would be happy, so that being said. Propecia does not loss in the front just as good as the back, but it doesn't regrow as well in the front? Do I have that correct?