FUE/SMP Combo

This client had a small FUE procedure done (approximately 800 grafts) a few years ago. He was unhappy with the hairline and density but decided against having another surgery and opted for Scalp Micropigmentation instead. Results shown are after 2 days of temporary SMP/tricopigmentation. He will come in for one more pass for further density and to darken the result.

sll66q.jpg

6ykw0j.jpg

2pq2e7q.jpg

2d9s2lc.jpg

33k6m3l.jpg

k04v2v.jpg

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Nice!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hair there,

Thanks for presenting these results, they look good. I guess given that this patient chose scalp micropigmentation he will be limited to keep his hair buzzed until or unless he decides to get another hair transplant. Did he say whether or not he wants to eventually get another hair transplant in order to grow his hair or is he satisfied with the buzzed look?

Also have there been any innovations to temporary scalp micropigmentation? I know one of the downsides of permanent SMP is that in time the ink may change color and look unnatural. However, temporary SMP comes with The reality that in time, the consumer/patient must return for another procedure. And then they run the risk of it not looking the same the second time around. And those who have to travel extremely far will have to make regular trips in order to continue to support the look that they want over many many years. So I am wondering what SMP clinics are doing to overcome these inherent problems? Just like hair transplant surgery changes over time, I'm wondering how SMP is changing and evolving?

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Dr. Bloxham and Bill!

Good questions Bill. This client is actually in the military and prefers wearing the buzz look so he never had any intentions of growing it longer than this. That's why he wasn't terribly upset with the FUE and lack of density.

To answer your second question, Beauty Medical is always looking to innovate their products. The most recent developments are a new machine that is basically a more streamlined design with intuitive software that comes with some auto settings for different zones and procedures. Another is one I'm personally very excited about and that's a new needle designed specifically for thickening procedures. I just put an order in for them and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

One of the perceived challenges with temporary Scalp Micropigmentation, as you pointed out, is having to return for touchups. But I always urge consumers, especially younger ones, to look at the big picture. Think 5, 10, 15 years down the road. Will you want to always have the same hairline? Probably not. Temp SMP alleviates this problem and eliminates the need for laser removal treatments should the client want to change the design, etc. or just remove it all together. Temp also eliminates any concerns about color change and pigment migration. So long as the consumer takes this into consideration, they can make an informed choice between temp and permanent SMP.

As far as the "last" time of the product, we have been seeing clients get 2 years before needing a touchup. Some do need it sooner, though. However, that does not mean the work done won't standup on it's own. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if Beauty Medical came out with a longer lasting pigment, but I have no real knowledge if this is something they are working on. All I do know is that they take their time with new products and don't rush anything onto the market. They are extremely cautious and client safety is their priority. Hope this answers your questions.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com