Ex system wearer (14 yrs) my story, and ask questions.

SMPrince

Hello all. I recently posted my story in the SMP section of the forum. I felt like I should create a more detailed account of my experience wearing a system and why I switched to SMP.

I started losing my hair around 15. At the tail end of 19 is the first time I wore a system. The first place I went to "Mr. Carmines" I think it was called sucked. The system lifted easily, and when I put product in to style it, it became rock hard. I could literally dive under water and come up with my hair still perfectly styled. It looked like shit too.

I could go on about it more but lets move to when I switched to J.A. alternatives. Immediately there was an improvement in system quality. So at first I was super happy...but not for long.

The first style of system I used with them didnt hold too much better than what I go at Mr Carmines. That is to say, if I sweat too much or stayed under hot water, or washed too "hard" it was likely the front was going to lift.

This is the biggest worry about wearing a system. Is the front lifting??? can people see my system?? During this period I RARELY washed my hair in fear that the front would lift. So basically for the two weeks between getting my system reattached I would never wash my hear and just keep applying more product to restyle each day.

And you can imagine the feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I noticed my system lifting..ugh. I can remember literally hiding out for days on end until my next appointment to get it reattached.

This lead to extreme dandruff and a red irritated rash across my forehead right under where the system attached.

So life wasn't much better. Sure I was no longer "balding" in appearance. But if anyone had any idea I was wearing a system it was during this time.

A few years in JA developed a newer (more expensive of course) system. So I tried it out and was SUPER PLEASED! This system held much much much better! And looked better, and the hair was better quality.

I can say during the 11 or 12 years I wore the new system it very rarely lifted up front. However there were times the back would lift. And while that was not noticeable to the naked eye it was always a worry when meeting girls and having them run their fingers through my hair.

Now, while the new system didnt lift up, the glue "bleeding through" the front was a constant issue. Each time I would plead with the girl doing my "hair" to try to get the system to lay at the tip of the glue so that the left over glue wouldn't become a problem. Well she's only human and more often than not I dealt with a sticky hair line. Often after about a week the excess glue would start to bunch up along the hairs in the hairline. A couple times I got questioned about it and would write it off as gel.

Now, with the newer system, since it held better I did begin to wash the sides of my head (my real hair) a few times every two weeks. Also, thanks to an ex, I discovered those little paper oil face wipes, and would use that along my hairline (which was constantly sweating). Thus, the rash and dandruff problem went away making me a bit happier.

I can honestly say I don't think most people knew I was wearing system. Even though it didnt always blend in well with my existing hair, and the color would fade often (another constant expense). Although certain people I would always catch focusing on my hairline while they talked with me. The people at JA tried to convince me it was just them admiring my hairstyle. But I knew it was that something didnt look quite right to them.

But life sucked. I didnt do a lot of the things I loved. If I had to travel I would have to plan to get my hair done before my trip. And there was always the fear of what if they cancel on me before I have to leave!

I stayed out of the sun like a vampire. Sweat was my enemy. So along with that I didnt engage in physical activities.

I would never rest my head back against head rests, and even slept in awkward positions to try to prevent the chances of the back of the system being pushed up.

The only time I would wear a hat is if my system was looking super shitty and I had an appointment coming up. Otherwise wearing a hat was dangerous because you'd sweat, and then when I took it off it would lift the front of the system. I remember walking into work on a snowy day and a coworker suggesting I leave my hair styling products at work so I could wear a hat in the cold and not worry about messing up my hair...little did she know.

Playing with my niece and nephew wasn't as fun because A. I didnt want to sweat as much, and B kids always reach for hair.

I did tell a few girls I got into seriously relationships with and they never minded. However when you're first getting to know someone its a constant worry if they can tell and if they can or when you tell them, what will be their reaction.

I would rarely go swimming. And if I did I needed to make excuses as to why I didnt dip my head under the water (oh its such a hassle to style my hair and I'm going out later).

Anyways...I can literally keep going. The end point...while wearing a system did give me more confidence than feeling bald, it came with its own worries, major stresses, limitations and most of all extreme costs.

So finally, I discovered SMP...researched that and last summer ripped off my system and got SMP done. As far as I know everyone I know who I never told about my system thinks I just shaved my head. (A testament to the system...I can't knock it completely).

More importantly, those who did know I wore a system tell me I am a changed person. They say I'm more comfortable in my skin. I no longer constantly sweat on my for head. I don't care if people reach for my head, I don't care if its too hot and humid, I can stay in the pool as long as I want, sleep in any position I want. No one stairs at my hairline anymore.

And now I could give a shit less when people discuss my head. Because the only question I get now is "Why do you shave your head? you have such a great head of hair!"

No more "haircuts" every two weeks. No more glue, no more worrying about SHIT!

I'm free. I'm happy...and the 50,000 to 60,000 grand I spent on hair systems over 14 years...well thats the past.

If you're thinking about a system please be warned. It's not as easy as placing hair on your head and everything is fine and dandy.

Systems still might be the best choice for some hairloss suffers. But if you're an active person...look into other options. Systems are expensive, and super super super high maintenance and even the best ones that might "look real" come with a shit load of worries and limitations.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

50000-60000 over 14 years seems excessive - did you use a salon?

I DIY for 300 a year

I don't think the cost was the main point of his post.. It was more of a side-point if anything.

SMPrince - your post echoed some of my own thoughts as though you were in my head! It was only today that I went to the park with my selfie stick to record myself in order to see whether anything looked suspect in strong winds. Upon returning home, I ordered a pizza because of the stress. I am still unable to make up my mind - system or no system. Put another way - freedom but look less attractive vs. no freedom and look more attractive. Furthermore, I believe that hair gives one a more well rounded, polished look - which may prove to be useful in one's career (I'm quite career minded).. all that said - confidence and a sense of someone who is confident in his own skin trumps aesthetics every time.

As you can tell, I am still unsure about what to do. What's worse - I got SMP done about 18 months ago which looks uber natural yet I've covered it up with a system..

Has a shaven head affected your personal relationships or career in any way? Have people said that you look better with hair?

I don't think the cost was the main point of his post.. It was more of a side-point if anything.

SMPrince - your post echoed some of my own thoughts as though you were in my head! It was only today that I went to the park with my selfie stick to record myself in order to see whether anything looked suspect in strong winds. Upon returning home, I ordered a pizza because of the stress. I am still unable to make up my mind - system or no system. Put another way - freedom but look less attractive vs. no freedom and look more attractive. Furthermore, I believe that hair gives one a more well rounded, polished look - which may prove to be useful in one's career (I'm quite career minded).. all that said - confidence and a sense of someone who is confident in his own skin trumps aesthetics every time.

As you can tell, I am still unsure about what to do. What's worse - I got SMP done about 18 months ago which looks uber natural yet I've covered it up with a system..

Has a shaven head affected your personal relationships or career in any way? Have people said that you look better with hair?

Hi Buzz, great questions that I'd be happy to answer.

First off, Since I got SMP I actually got a new job. Same career just a new position I was interested in. So the "shaved look" didn't hurt my chances. In-fact, they were looking for someone who spoke a specific second language that I don't speak. But I still got the position. I was told that my confidence is what sealed the deal for me.

MOST people have said my shaved head looks good. The ones who preferred me with "hair" are all people who didn't know I wore a system and their reasoning is they just don't dig the shaved look in general.

For me, I never had a problem meeting women. But I feel like I've gotten more positive interactions flirting with women since AFTER getting SMP. In-fact I'll share a couple stories about when I first ventured out with my new shaved look.

Day 1 of going out into the world after second session of SMP (so not even the completed look, but enough density for me to feel comfortable to rock the look in public). I went to a store actually to buy a new hat (for style purposes, now i get to actually choose when I want to wear a hat :) ) So I'm at the check out, and a female employee is walking buy and a smile at her, she smiles back. I turn to keep watching as she walks away and she turns and catches me and we both smile again. A minute later as I'm finishing up paying she walks by again and stares me down smiling the whole time. Inside my head all I'm thinking is "Yeeeeeep...this look is going to work just fine."

Another story was when I was walking through Grand Central station (I'm from the NY area). It was a busy time and I was cutting through the long line to the ladies room. I had to cut through this group of hot girls. As I say excuse me I catch eye contact with one of them and again I do my smile and she smiles and keeps eye contact for like the 30 seconds or whatever it took for me to go around the corner.

Let's just say I haven't had any issues with women finding me attractive. MORE IMPORTANTLY I find myself more attractive. Even though I usually felt like the system looked real enough...I just didnt like how it looked on me. Whenever I caught a glimpse of myself in a reflection 8 or 9 times out of 10 I looked away quickly. Something about it just didnt look right.

Not to mention I would dread giving my hairline a close inspection as I would be afraid I'd see lift or too much glue and that would just zap my confidence until my next reattachment.

With SMP I LOVE my reflection. I guess maybe my head is just nicely shaped. But I can happily stare at the man in the mirror now. That gives me the confidence that makes me successful in everything else in my life. I'm not worried about my looks.

So my friend...you said you have a natural looking SMP under your system? I say rip the system off and rock the SMP. I'd say for about a month I felt a little weird at times without my system...I mean after 14 years it did become part of me and my routine. Now I can't imagine life if I was still stuck wearing it.

The funny thing is I discovered SMP a year before I started considering it. But the first time I saw it I thought "Oh that sucks it just looks like a shaved head, I want hair!" Glad my outlook changed. It really was just me being tired of the limitations that opened up my mind to considering the shaved look.

As for the 50,000 to 60,000 grand. Yes I went to a salon. I had to "buy hair" every two years for about 3000. Then I would go get it reattached every other week for about 110 a pop. Then plus tip to the girl, then consider all the products I purchased. So yes, I know some people clean and attach their systems themselves...shit I wouldn't want the stress of that.

Hope this helped a bit more, and please continue to ask away.