new to the site

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on the site but I have been on here looking at some of discussions for the past 6 months. Just like everyone else here I have been losing my hair over the last 5 years and its been tough to deal with. I am 29 yrs old so I guess its not too bad considering some individuals are bald by their mid-20s. I still have a full head of hair but the thinning process occurs on a regular basis and I notice enough that I am starting to get concern. I have been on rogaine for the past six months and I don't notice a difference but I plan to stick with it until I lose all my hair, I didn't want to do propecia because of the sides. Anyway, I do appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts its helpful to someone like me. Also I haven't rule out a transplant but I think its way too soon for me to look into that, I want to see what I would look like with no hair and if I am comfortable with it then I won't go with the transplant. I do have a couple questions that I would love to hear people's response. First has anyone been on Rogaine for over a couple of years and how has it worked for you? I am just trying to get a feel if its going to lead to success, really not trying to grow more hair but just kind of preventing from losing it. Also has anyone had a transplant, which they were happy with, for over five years? My concern with the transplant is that my dad and grandfather are both NW6/7 and I am assuming I am heading in that direction. I am nowhere near that not even a NW3 but if I get a transplant I am concern about how bald I will get and the fear of not having a donor hair to cover up the bald spots that occur later in life. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on the site but I have been on here looking at some of discussions for the past 6 months. Just like everyone else here I have been losing my hair over the last 5 years and its been tough to deal with. I am 29 yrs old so I guess its not too bad considering some individuals are bald by their mid-20s. I still have a full head of hair but the thinning process occurs on a regular basis and I notice enough that I am starting to get concern. I have been on rogaine for the past six months and I don't notice a difference but I plan to stick with it until I lose all my hair, I didn't want to do propecia because of the sides. Anyway, I do appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts its helpful to someone like me. Also I haven't rule out a transplant but I think its way too soon for me to look into that, I want to see what I would look like with no hair and if I am comfortable with it then I won't go with the transplant. I do have a couple questions that I would love to hear people's response. First has anyone been on Rogaine for over a couple of years and how has it worked for you? I am just trying to get a feel if its going to lead to success, really not trying to grow more hair but just kind of preventing from losing it. Also has anyone had a transplant, which they were happy with, for over five years? My concern with the transplant is that my dad and grandfather are both NW6/7 and I am assuming I am heading in that direction. I am nowhere near that not even a NW3 but if I get a transplant I am concern about how bald I will get and the fear of not having a donor hair to cover up the bald spots that occur later in life. Any input would be great. Thanks.

greenmud,

Welcome to our forum community. I think you are approaching this prudently by seeing how you respond to medication before pursuing or considering a hair transplant. You may however, want to reconsider researching and using Propecia, which will give you the greatest chance of salvaging your existing hair, especially when Rogaine is used simulteneously.

Family history of hair loss isn't a definite that you'll experience the same degree of loss, but it's certainly a risk and possible. Those who end up with high degrees of hair loss must realize that hair transplant surgery will never restore them a full head of hair. How much coverage and density you can achieve will depend on your degree of hair loss, available donor supply, hair characteristics, and how the grafts are strategically used.

If you want to know ahead of time what you'd look like bald - instead of waiting until you lose all your hair (if it happens), you may want to consider shaving it. That might give you a better indication as to whether or not you're satisfied with it.

To be frank, the shaved head look is in, and many guys sport it well. I just happen to be one of the unlucky few who looks terrible without hair. You will ultiamtely have to determine the course of action you want to take - but in order to make educated decisions, begin researching all your options thoroughly, now.

All the best,

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the response back. I definitely hear you about propecia and I saw the dermatologist and he gave me a script for it but at the end I couldn't do it because I was concern about the sides. I know many people on this site use it and have no problems with it but I guess I am too nervous. As far as shaving the head thing, I guess right now I am not going that route since my friends think its just best to keep the hair I have and continue to style it. There obversation is well if your going bald you have plenty of time to go with the bald look and might as well enjoy the look you have with hair. I kind of agree with them on that but there are definitely days I feel like just shaving for the heck of it. Hair transplant is something I might consider and I am a realist after seeing many people's post and blog on the site I am not looking to have the same hair that I did at 22, but if I can it restore it to look like what I have right now at 29 (which is thin but not bald), I would be happy. Bill I also see that you live in the PA area it be cool to meet you one day to see what you look like in person and get a feel for how a hair transplant looks, like I said not near that point right now.

Hey greenmud,

I am 42 and going to get a hair transplant. I am balding on my crown area. I don't know if this will help you but I will be updating my progress with videos and photos. If you want to follow me on twitter or facebook let me know. It will be good to see the process of getting this done from someone else. Maybe it will help you make a decision as to whether or not you want to get a hair transplant done.

Hi Phil_Harmonic,

I am probably going to a NW3 stage, the crown area is thinning and the frontal area as well. Like I said, I still have hair, its thinning, I am guessing with me on Rogaine now I probably start losing it by the time I am 31/32 and then I am going to shave it off to see how I would look like I am bald. I know for most people it makes them look older but I might actually look younger. Not sure if transplant is the way I am going to go, but definitely will consider. My concern is that I am destine to be a NW6, my dad and grandfather are so I dont want to get a transplant and still have bald areas, also I am against propecia for possible long term issues.