Rogaine initial shedding?

I am 3 weeks post op and am considering Rogaine especially to help grow hair that was shaved for procedure.

I have read about the initial shedding caused by starting to use Rogaine.

Does shedding happen to everyone?

How much shedding actually happens?

Hi TG,

The shedding associated with Rogaine (or any of the other preventive hair loss medications) does not necessarily happen to everyone. I don't know the percentages, but it's definitely not 100%. Having said that, it is common. The shedding general occurs during the first 3-4 months. After this, the previously shed hair should grow back thicker and a bit healthier than before (assuming these hairs were affected by male pattern baldness and you are a good responder to minoxidil).

The amount of shedding varies as well. It's quite dramatic in some -- and anxiety inducing as well! Others don't report much aside from seeing a few more hairs in the shower or on the pillow in the morning.

Some believe the intensity of the shed is related to the response you will have to these preventive medications (meaning those who have a dramatic shed are "good responders" and should see a significant difference from the medication). I'm not sure if this is necessarily true, but it is important to remember that you could have an initial shed; most usually don't advise stopping the medication based on the shedding alone; all hairs shed should grow back (hopefully stronger); and it usually takes a full 6-12 months to determine how well you respond to these preventive medications.

I recall you mentioning some concern about the scalp redness after your transplant, so I will throw in one more caveat about topical minoxidil: it can, in a noteworthy subset of patients, cause scalp redness and irritation. Especially the liquid (opposed to the foam) version. Just something to keep in mind in case the redness of the scalp is a big problem.

Hope this was helpful! Grow well.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake already signed it up real good however, I just wanted to add my feedback. As already stated, the initial shutting. Does not happen to everyone, so even if you don't experience it, it doesn't mean that it is not working. Alternatively, and initial shedding is typically signs of the medication working. How much shutting you experience varies from patient to patient however, it's important in my opinion to give Rogaine the full 4 to 6 months in order to properly evaluate its effectiveness for you. It's also typically proven more effective in the crown however, that does not mean that it cannot work in the hairline or frontal core. Thus, when I used to use Rogaine, I preferred the phone because it was easier to apply all over the entire scalp. Sometimes I actually think about using it again just to see if it will thicken up the hair in the back below the crown. Especially since I do not use Propecia anymore.

I was on Rogaine for over 20 years and when I stopped, my hair did shed alot and did not style like it did the past previous two decades. I just started up on it again about 6 weeks ago and no shedding....but I do hear that it is COMPLETELY normal to shed at first. Rogaine will only help you - it certainly wont make you go bald.

I agree that the "initial use" of either low dose finasteride or minoxidil can induce a shed cycle and usually a good sign that the individual is responding favorably. I think the toughest part is the patience required to fulfill not only the shed cycle but then the new growth phase. All in all, it can take roughly six months or longer to fulfill but IMHO, definitely worthy the wait.

Some guys freak out when they experience the shedding and stop the medications. I agree with Dr. Blake to wait it out for the 6-12 month period in order to give the medications an ample period of time to evaluate its efficiency.

The redness and sometimes also the dryness of the scalp from minoxidil can be from the many alcohol based additives in the product. This includes both the liquid and foam. A fair number of guys like Rogaine Foam which is 5% strength. The liquid versions start at 2% and can be a good option when first starting minoxidil to minimize an acute shed. You can always switch up to 5% after several months of using the 2% liquid.

Rogaine's clinical trials did not show much efficiency for the frontal core and states that information yet some guys claim it does. You will never know until you try.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY