Please Help Me Iron deficiency or DHT problem??

Sunny575

I am 23, male, Indian loosing hair from 10 months. I am loosing hair all over the head, I mean even at sides and back ( at base of the neck). I went to dermatologist and got some blood tests done. My testosterone levels are high. And she mentioned it was the reason I am loosing hair. I am not totally convinced with what she said. I can also see my MCV, MCH levels are low and also my RDW level is high. I think these levels show iron deficiency which can also result in hair loss. I am also thinning all over. Recently I noticed I can see my scalp on the frontal side. My maternal uncle is completely bald by the time he is 23. I am not sure whether my problem is Iron deficiency or DHT? And also Is there any test I can figure out my DHT levels. I am going to see another dermatologist this week.

Does rogaine stop thinning all over the head?

I am using Hair max laser comb from 1 month. Not sure whether it is working or not.

And also can anyone suggest good dermatologist in Denver area who treats hair loss problem. I can hardly find as I am new to this area.

Please any advise would be grateful.

If you live in Denver, eat an american diet, you are most likely not significantly iron deficient.

Sell that Laser comb and consider propecia with your Derm.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thank you so much for the reply. I thought of using propecia, but heard there are more side effects and not sure how many days it will take for the side effects to go off once you stop taking the pill. Does it work stopping hair loss at sides and back?

My scalp at sides is clearly visible. I am really worried of losing the hair in Donor area which will even take HT option out.

If I stay on what ever hair I had I would be really happy.

I would like to start with Rogaine and see how it works. And again Rogaine doesn't work all over the head; this is what my Dermatologist said. Please tell should I still consider using propecia or apply Rogaine all over the head.

Please any one advice

Thanks in advance

Sunny575,

Nothing beats taking a multifaceted approach to hair loss. U using both Propecia and Rogaine is more helpful than either product alone for male pattern baldness.

But before considering Propecia, have your dermatologist determine whether or not you are suffering from genetic or non-genetic hair loss. Propecia is only helpful for DHT based hair loss (genetic male pattern baldness).

An iron deficiency can cause diffuse hair loss all over the scalp. If you suspect this is a problem, eat iron rich foots and talk to a doctor about iron supplements. If you are losing hair due to lack of iron, your hair loss may reverse itself.

Best wishes,

Bill

Iron deficiency is a real cause of hair loss. I have seen several cases of iron deficiency as a causative factor for alopecia in women. When I see women for hair loss, one of the things I investigate, along with other blood tests, is their iron levels. For men, a blood work up is rare, however, if their history and examination are not consistent with androgenetic alopecia, then I will investigate further.

A while back, I went to a lecture about hair loss by an expert dermatologist who specializes in alopecia (she was one of the original physicians in the phase trials for Propecia before it went to market) and she reports that even low iron levels contributes to hair loss. Women do have a higher degree of iron loss because of their monthly cycles, but I think you may want to have your physician work this up.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

That is a good comment Dr. Gabel. I have seen this with females, or at least I thought it may contribute in some females; but they had other endocrine issues too.

As to men, I have never seen a man at my offices with iron deficiency causing hairloss. An occasional vegetarian and I will discuss it, and inevitably they have a strong family history of MPB.

You have a nice hair practice, how many guys have you seen with this cause in the past 10 years? And were they "malnourished in appearance"?

I appreciate your answer.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I appreciate every one. I will post all my test results (Iron and DHT levels) pretty soon. Do I need to get any other hormone tests done along with these?

One more question, Does Rogaine work for even non DHT related problems?

Thanks in advance

Bill,

What does the following statement mean, I got this one in Rogaine product Description

"Hair regrowth has not been shown to last longer than 48 weeks in large clinical trial with continuous treatment with 5% minoxidil topical solutions for men"..

And also can I apply Rogaine 5% all over my scalp or just around vertex area. If I can apply hair all over the scalp should I increase the amount applied or just have to use the regular amount all over?

Any one please advice

Thanks in advance

Sunny,

You can apply Rogaine to any and all thinning areas. It's only "proven" for the crown, but many patients and hair restoration physicians alike have seen it's success in other areas.

I imagine what you quoted probably means not to expect any new hair regrowth after 48 weeks of using Rogaine. But I could be wrong...

Bill

Hi Bill thanks for that reply.

I went to different dermatologist and this time was a pleasant visit. He verified all my previous test results and said could be Telogen effluvium or Iron deficiency since my MCV and MCH are pretty low (could be even MPB). He told me to start use Rogaine (As you mentioned Rogaine can be used for different kinds of alopecia) I started using Rogaine. I will take some photos and will post them, and also once I get the results will post them.

Sunny

I'm glad you saw a dermatologist who evaluated your lab results. You asked in a previous thread if i obtain hormone levels on patients. It is very rare for me to ask for hormone levels for male patients - most of the time, when a male patients comes to see me, they would already have a diagnosis of some type of hormonal imbalance and they are aware of it - so no. For female hair loss, the incidence of hormonal imbalance is higher and i will draw labs on women if i feel it is indicated. If the labs then come back abnormal, i refer to an endocrinologist or their primary care physician to determine the next step.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Sunny,

Daily hair washing doesn't cause hair loss. This is a hair loss myth that started based on balding men (or women) seeing strands or clumps of hair in the shower.

The real reason for the noticeable hair in the shower is because any action to your hair, such as showering, brushing, combing, towel drying, running your fingers through it, etc. will remove hairs that have already detached themselves from the root.

Healthy hair attached to the root will remain, but even healthy hair goes through a normal hair growth cycle.

All that to say, you are safe washing your hair daily while using Rogaine.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hello Sunny,

I have a few clients from India who pull their hair back into a pony tail and have gotten traction hair loss. The pattern you explained where your hairloss was in the front, sides and the back on your neckline fits description of traction hairloss. Do you pull your hair back into a ponytail?

Dr. Meshkin is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Sunny,

Donor hair thinning can occur with advanced years. It's very rare for for hair in the donor area to be completely lost.

Because of this, there are a number of topics in other places on this forum about whether or not the donor area is completely safe, and how it impacts the permanency of transplanted hair.

Best wishes,

Bill

I got my test results. My Ferritin levels are pretty low(13). My dermatalogist said this could be the reason for hair loss and also he mentioned to take Ferrous Sulfate 325mg pills twice daily. Until my Ferritin levels get above 70.

He also mentioned about Free testosterone which is normal high. but he said that may not be the exact reason for hair loss( may be not DHT related). These tests were taken around 4.30pm. Will this one gives any low hormone results. Since my previous test which was taken around 9.00AM said testosterone at 869 which is high( now it is 677). I did start using Rogaine 1 week back.

how many days it will take to get my ferritin levels up again.

Can any one please look into my results and advice. Thanks in advance.

Iron and TIBC

Result Ref

Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 312 ug/dL 250-450

UIBC 259 ug/dL 150-375

Iron, Serum 53 ug/dL 40-155

Iron Saturation 17 ug/dL 15-55

Testosterone, free, Total

Testosterone, Serum 677 ng/dL 241-827

Free Testost(Direct) 26.5 pg/dL 9.3-26.5

Ferritin, Serum 13 Low ng/dL 22-322

Sex Horm Binding Glob, Serum 57 nmol/L 13-71

Sunny,

As we've indicated, low ferritin levels can be responsible for hair loss.

I trust your doctor would be much more suited to tell you approximately how long it will take to get your ferritin levels back up given the supplements he's put you on.

Give it some time to see how it works for you. Be sure also to talk to your dermatologist about other contributors to hair loss such as genetics, etc.

Best wishes,

Bill

Can any one please answer this one

If hair loss is due to Iron deficiency is it possible to revert back hair loss? Does the lost hair grow back?

Since I am Iron deficient I am wondering whether I can grew back my hair to previous start if not all at least half of what I lost.

Sunny,

Diffuse alopecia hair loss from iron deficiency can reverse itself with proper treatment, namely, getting your iron levels back up to a normal level and time. This will depend on how long you've had the problem, how much hair has thinned, etc.

Talk to your dermatologist, but you may want to use Rogaine in the thinning areas as an adjunct treatment to iron supplments. The Rogaine may help stimulate the follicles and cause hair regrowth faster.

Best wishes,

Bill