Advice for 2nd HT needed after 20 years

Im in my 40s and had my first FUT nearly 20 years ago when I wanted to save my disappearing hairline.

I now want to have a FUE to restore my hairline as the surrounding hairs have almost gone and i'm left with a high hairline with the original transplanted hairs.

I live in the UK and I am considering going to Belgium for a FUE but I really do not want to shave any of my frontal recipient hair as I do not want anyone to know I had a HT.

With the original FUT I had in the past, I returned to work a few days later without anyone noticing anything so I wish the same with the next FUE.

Any recommendations of surgeons in Belgium that would perform FUE without shaving? I have a scar from the FUT so shaving will expose this.

Thanks

I think shaving the donor area or even the recipient area will depend on how large of a session your proposed FUE procedure would be.

There are some docs that say they can do FUE unshaven yet typically they are referring to the entire zone being shaved down. In smaller sessions they can buzz down some confined areas for their extractions versus shaving the entire zone.

The idea is to have at least 3 inches or so in length of your donor zone hair. They then shave a small area and allow the top layer of hair to hang over where they shaved and took extractions. It's the same principle when a strip is taken to hide the sutures. The hair above the sutures hangs back over them so you cannot see the sutures.

You will probably need more than just a few days for the scabbing to heal in the recipient area.

The best thing to do is to contact some of these surgeons to see what your options are regarding shaving for the procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

This is something that will vary from surgeon to surgeon. I believe some surgeons insist on shaving, some can sometimes work around it. If your hair is long enough, they can do what Gillenator suggested and shave it so that your remaining hair can hang over the recipient area - but again, this all depends on your particular case and the surgeon you choose.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks.

Considering I already had a FUT, would a 2nd FUT be a better option than a FUE?

Many guys go with FUHT for the second procedure because they already have the linear scar from their first procedure.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Dr Bisanga only shaved the immediate recipient and all of the donor. He then asked if I would like to leave the rest of the hair or shave it. I told him to just shave it all, so it would all be even. I do have at least a month off work though. But, my hair was probably long enough that I could have gotten away with a comb over if I wanted.

Good luck to you

• Moderators

Since you already have a strip scar, I would go with another strip scar. As long as the previous scar was done in the proper area, the Dr will overlap the old one and you will still have only one scar in the same location as you do now. Unless there's a specific reason why you want FUE, just go with FUT.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Since you already have a strip scar, I would go with another strip scar. As long as the previous scar was done in the proper area, the Dr will overlap the old one and you will still have only one scar in the same location as you do now. Unless there's a specific reason why you want FUE, just go with FUT.

Would this be a completely new scar? Is FUE better to just leave the the first one alone?

Providing there is enough scalp laxity, many surgeons will take out the former strip scar so the patient is left with one new linear scar.

Unless there are issues with the first scar, most individuals do not want multiple strip scars in their donor zone with FUHT.

Gillenator