Need some help with future ht

Dm6

Hi guys/girls

I am planning on getting a fue transplant to fill in my temple region in the next 3 weeks with Dr Erdogan Koray in Turkey. I am from Sydney Australia, and the flight times are minimum 20+ hours depending on stop overs ( I will try get the least overall flight times) what is your opinions on flying home the next day or should I wait an extra 1,2,3 etc? I am travelling along way and am going to be spending my hard earned money so I want the grafts to have the best chance of survival. Would the swelling be affected flying in the head? I remember flying to Europe the uk this year and my feet were swollen. I'm guessing because of the circulation and that I didnt move them around and walk enough.

prp... Is it worth it and will it help the recovery time or is it a waste of time and money? I have read mixed reviews on this.

Appreciate any feedback as I am looking to book my return flights soon.

I think you're answering your own question as you wrote that....

You're traveling a long way. Unless you have something you NEED to get back to, you should give yourself a few days to relax. Why risk anything?

Hi esrec, thanks for the quick response. I have read quite a few people travel back the next day. Just wondering if others have experienced this. How many days would you recommend? What are your thoughts on prp??

I'm sure you can, and some have, but personally don't see the reason tor risk anything--either the outcome or your own sanity--if you dont have to.

Did your doc give a recommendation on flying? There's some mixed opinions there. Same on PRP-docs use it during procedure but jury is out still.

My thoughts exactly, I guess a short flight seems ok but 20+hrs had me questioning it. The rep first told I'd fly the next day after the follow up from the procedure, I questioned it and they said the next day would be better if it suited me. Would that 1 extra day be enough or should I give it a couple more? Unfortunately there is a lot of bshit going on the world today and with the recent attacks in Paris and bombings in Turkey where I'm going Id probably like to spend the least time as needed there but don't want to jeopardise my procedure. Prp is just an optional extra and says that it aids in recovery.. It's $300euros Which I don't want to waste if it's not proven

If you can take a few days I say do it. Just my opinion. If you're like me and most you've spent hours and years consumed with hair loss. This is the culmination of those moments, you deserve it to be as stress-free as possible.

They are charging you for PRP? I'd ask them to waive that. If they believe it factors into outcocmes the cost should be built in. Add on fees ? Idk that leaves a poor taste. What are they reimbursing you for?

I can definitely take a few days off, that shouldn't be a problem. I have heard swelling can begin a few days after so would that mean I would have to stay longer till it subsided? how long does it last? Is there anything i can take to reduce swelling apart from ibuprofen? I don't mind staying a few days but i would prefer not to stay there say 2 weeks after the procedure. I can definitely relate to you being consumed by my hairloss, where as I know its not as bad as others (which I'm grateful for) it still affects me and am hoping to have this procedure and be carefree for a while.

the prp is the only optional extra apart from airport, motel transfers. though you do have to pay for the medical packs (shampoos, antibiotics, low level laser therapy, finasteride etc) $240 euros. I know there is a few clinics that include this but I am a big fan of Dr Koray's work.

You definitely dont need 2 weeks. My guess (hopefully others who've had FUE chime in, I had FUT) Is you'll feel pretty good after 3-4 days. Everyone responds differently. I had no swelling or redness, but the meds were doing the work.

Protect your investment-that's how I view it.

Edited by esrec

The surgery will be on a monday so I might fly back on the thursday or friday. Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones with your recovery, I hope you had great results. What meds did you take? hopefully some Fue patients read and add there input (doubtful, but an aussie that has had the same circumstances would be awesome) Definitely agree with you on protecting the investment.

thanks for your response, greatly appreciated.

It's a very long time flight mate. A top surgeon such as Rahal makes it mandatory not to fly for 3 days post op if the flight is less than 5 hours, and at least 5 days if flight time is longer than 6. Then there are other surgeons such as Dr Feller who stated on an old thread that flying is good for the grafts. I would rather be safe than sorry, and especially because your flight is so long, I'd stay for 5 nights.

If your total flight time is 5 hours or less: you are required to stay in Ottawa for 3 nights after your procedure.

‐ If your total flight time is 6 hours or more: you are required to stay in Ottawa for 5 nights after your procedure.

‐If you are driving/taking the train to Ottawa: please speak with Patient Care regarding your ideal stay period after your procedure.

I wouldn't fly till Friday or Sat. I had some pretty bad swelling days 3-5 and really you will look pretty awful. It is intensely embarrassing walking around looking like a freak and feeling the weight of everyone staring at you. Also I have read stories before about luggage falling out of luggage compartments onto a patients head and dislodging the grafts. I think.its a lot to risk flying so soon after a HT for 20+ hours. At least if you wait a few days until the weekend, your grafts should be pretty secure by then.

I appreciate all the responses, surgery is on the Monday so I think I'll fly Friday or Saturday. Besides the meds I'm given is there anything else you guys could recommend to reduce swelling and aid in healing. I have heard of people using aloe Vera on donor and recipient twice a day which heaps healing, Also wondering about what type of pillow I should be using on the plane, sleeping with and if and when I should wear a loose cap and if a beanie would be better? I have heard you can go back to the gym after 2 weeks but think I'll give it a month I was told by a surgeon hear in Australia that saltwater at the beach is good for healing aswell, thoughts on this? Iknow it is for most wounds but I don't want to risk anything to jeopardise my transplant.

Thanks again.

Neck pillow only, and even though the grafts should be safe by the time you fly, try take care not to bang you head against anything. The trick is to try get a back row window seat, but avoid sleeping against the window itself. Loose fitting mesh hat that won't touch the grafts too muchis fine. Stay away from beanies as they touch the grafts.

I flew the very next day after my HT, Chandigarh - Delhi - Bangkok - Melbourne then a 350km drive, I must admit I should have stayed an extra day like i did the 2 times before.....

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

cheers for the advice mav, am looking to take every precaution possible. Is there anything else i can take for healing/swelling besides the meds they give you?

sethticles, how did you find it compared to previous times? did it affect your results in away possible or healing time?

I wish i had stayed an extra 24 hours but it didnt change a thing, other than create a heightened sense of "i must take extra extra care" and if I had waited an extra day I could have taken the bandages off before flying, there really isn't much swelling your face aint going to look like the elephant man or anything, you just have to be effin careful with everything, especially on planes, get a window seat, web check in early to lock the best out of the way seat you can find. the healing time is 2 weeks and scabbing can last a few days longer and during that time again you must be effin careful - just make sure you pack a really good travel pillow and some decent baseball cap, ideally a trucka cap that can sit lightly and low and not touch any grafts, trucka caps are adjustable and made from very light materials i wouldnt wear something that was a fitted cap it needs to be adjustable but lets you travel incognito. I do worry a bit for you going all the way to Turkey with all the transfers, as you will need to make sure your head is nicely keep wet, so take a spray bottle and duck off to the plane toilets every 2 hours, probably best to not wear the cap on the plane for that amount of time too, PM if you want some more info mate,,

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/