Technician extractions in FUE procedures

Hey all,

I am very interested in having FUE for my next HT. Up until a couple of days ago, I was set on whom I was going to choose to perform my FUE surgery. Fortunately the other day I discovered that the clinic I had in mind to perform my FUE HT has technicians perform all the extractions, not the doctor him/herself. After finding this out and doing some research, I discovered that extractions performed by technicians is not an entirely uncommon practice. Some of the most popular and esteemed FUE clinics recommended on this website do in fact have technicians perform all the extractions. Dr. Erdogan at ASMED, Dr. Lorenzo at Injecto Capilar/Farjo Clinic, and Dr. Hakan Dogany to name a few all have technicians perform the extractions during FUE procedures.

Now, I had 1 FUT procedure done about 4 months ago, and technicians were exclusively involved during the implantation process, so I am very cognizant of the importance of technician involvement during both FUT and FUE procedures. And while I admit I’m a layman in regards to the complex medical factors involved in executing a successful hair transplantation, I have a feeling that extracting hair follicles in FUE procedures is not only more complex than implanting them, but it is also more of an area (compared to the implantation process) where damaging hair follicles is much more likely.

I was wondering if some senior members or members well versed in the factors involving graft survival rate could comment on the efficacy of extractions performed by technicians during FUE procedures. Is this an ok practice? Is extracting grafts during FUE procedures not a difficult process? Is there no difference in the survival rate of grafts extracted by either HT doctors or technicians? Thanks so much!

Disclaimer: all of the above mentioned HT doctors consistently post beautiful and successful HT’s. Because this site recommends each Dr. mentioned above, I am positive they are ethical and honest in their practice of hair transplantation. I didn’t mean to criticize their HT process; it was just something I found confusing and mildly alarming.

I have a feeling that extracting hair follicles in FUE procedures is not only more complex than implanting them, but it is also more of an area (compared to the implantation process) where damaging hair follicles is much more likely.

I don't know about "more complex" but yes, this is the process that would most likely damage the follicles resulting in transection and lost grafts. I feel this is a very weak link in the HT industry at the moment. A lot of the time a HT will still turn out fine but because the technicians are skilled and take their time. But then again I have read many posts with sub-par results or different results of different sides of the head because one technician was better than the other etc.

Even if the result is great you have no idea how many grafts were lost at the hands of a less skilled technician when they perform the extractions.

From what I've read Lorenzo with with a very skilled person, but that can change. You might for instance get a new technician who is on her/his 3rd transplant and still learning. You just dont know before the operation.

Unless you ask. Unless you talk to the doctor in your consultation and have him tell you exactly who will be working on you, how long they have been there and then go check results of other patients that have worked with that technician.

Seriously, if they are doing half the job they should be known, and considered an important part of a hair transplant when considering a doctor.

Ok, thats my rant for the day. (ha) Good post.

Hi radiorunner. i have been researching fue procedure for a while now, and a lot of people have told me to stay away from places that use the techs like this. They said you cant be sure what tech you are getting and this can really make the result bad if it is a new or bad tech.

FUE for me?? Maybe???

Surgery is surgery. IMHO, only the surgeon should be the one performing the extractions and making the recipient incision sites. Obviously we all want a surgeon who is competent and proven as well.

It is supposed to be the law yet some clinics are moving away from the medical standard of only a licensed physician performing what is considered to be the surgical aspects of any procedure (surgery).

Yet there is the grey area of a skilled tech doing the extractions under the direct supervision of a licensed physician or PA. I have heard of some situations where the tech was considered more skilled at doing the extractions than the surgeon so obviously it depends who you go to for the procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Can Dr's tell from looking at extracted grafts if it has been injured/transected or not? If so then they must know how good the person who extracted the grafts is...

If it is a top class clinic with a great rep then i'm sure the techs are very good at extractions, and have the dr's trust...Dr Feriduni has techs doing the extractions as well, so i actually think it is the norm.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Absolutely it can be evident if a graft has been transected or damaged and in most cases, does not even have to be put under a scope to see the damage.

I still do not think this is the norm for techs doing the extractions but it sure seems like the industry is headed in that direction...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Petchski

Wow, I didn't know Feriduni had techs doing extractions now as well. I know all these clinics consistenly post top notch results, however I can't help but feel this is a downward trend in the standard of FUE. Hopefully a Dr. could chime in and give his/her opinions on these matters!

gillenator

I agree gillenator, in my (laymans) opinion the HT surgeon should be the only one performing the extractions and making the recipient incision sites. I wonder if it be helpful to construct a list of all the FUE doctors that have technicians performing the extractions vs. FUE doctors that perform the extractions themselves. Thanks again for your insight!

Gillenator,

Nicely stated. I concur.

Radio,

Remember that you will always have greater variation with FUE results as well.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Gillenator,

Nicely stated. I concur.

Radio,

Remember that you will always have greater variation with FUE results as well.

Thanks Doc. I would absolutely prefer to have another FUT as opposed to FUE, but unfortunately I have poor laxity, so I don't think it's possible to have another FUT procedure in the future. This is why I am trying to do as much research as possible for choosing a top FUE HT clinic. Do you have any recommendations for top FUE HT clinics?

By the way, be sure to thank Dr. Feller and tell him my hair is coming in really well at 4 months! I'll post an update on my thread really soon!

Question is really are you paying a doc for his name and a tech to do the surgical extraction or paying a doc who uses his name online and that doc doing the surgical extraction at the cost offerred for FUE?

Surgery is surgery and a FUE extraction is surgery which is primarily done by a surgeon. Unless, you have a clinic that has invested in the ARTAS which makes it a grey area because a machine is scoring your graft at the command of a technician.

In any case, i wouldnt let ARTAS touch me. Id prefer and wish to have a doctor do the surgical aspects of surgery solely focusing on me as the patient of the day. I dont want a newbie or varying or temporary tech or a learner tech, i want a skilled doctor to do the surgical aspect of surgery. Esp at the costs of what some docs charge for FUE because some North American docs charge way more then their Turkish and Indian / International counterparts for FUE yet it seems some aspects of surgery are less personalized, with the exception of a very few docs.

Question is really are you paying a doc for his name and a tech to do the surgical extraction or paying a doc who uses his name online and that doc doing the surgical extraction at the cost offerred for FUE?

Surgery is surgery and a FUE extraction is surgery which is primarily done by a surgeon. Unless, you have a clinic that has invested in the ARTAS which makes it a grey area because a machine is scoring your graft at the command of a technician.

In any case, i wouldnt let ARTAS touch me. Id prefer and wish to have a doctor do the surgical aspects of surgery solely focusing on me as the patient of the day. I dont want a newbie or varying or temporary tech or a learner tech, i want a skilled doctor to do the surgical aspect of surgery. Esp at the costs of what some docs charge for FUE because some North American docs charge way more then their Turkish and Indian / International counterparts for FUE yet it seems some aspects of surgery are less personalized, with the exception of a very few docs.

I think all of us would prefer to have FUE extractions done by the Surgeon himself/herself, but it is just hard to believe that many of the most lauded and apparently most successful FUE clinics in the world (Lorenzo, Erdogan, and Feriduni) have technicians perform extractions, yet it doesn't appear to have an impact on the results. Maybe it does and we are only seeing cherry picked cases?

Radio,

Glad to hear it's coming in nicely!

Did Dr Feller say you did not have the laxity for another strip? I would be surprised if you couldn't do another FUT procedure if you've only had one.

Where are you looking to place the FUE grafts?

If you're looking for FUT results without doing another strip, you may be a good candidate for our mFUE procedure. Are you going to stop by at 6 or 12 months? If so, we can discuss it -- and traditional FUE as well.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Radio,

Glad to hear it's coming in nicely!

Did Dr Feller say you did not have the laxity for another strip? I would be surprised if you couldn't do another FUT procedure if you've only had one.

Where are you looking to place the FUE grafts?

If you're looking for FUT results without doing another strip, you may be a good candidate for our mFUE procedure. Are you going to stop by at 6 or 12 months? If so, we can discuss it -- and traditional FUE as well.

Hey Dr.,

I kind of want to work on my temples a little more. I started taking Fin about 5 months ago, so I am going to wait 6 more months before I make any decisions so to see if the Fin has regenerated any miniaturized hairs.

Before scheduling my HT with Dr. Feller, I had consultations with 3 other recommended HT Dr.'s, all of whom told me I have either 'average or below average' laxity. But I will definitely pop my head in the clinic at the 6 months mark, so hopefully we can talk then. Thanks!

Magnum is absolutely correct. We never see the cases that did not turn out well and the ones where the new techs are learning the extraction process.

So we will never know the percent of good cases as compared to the ones that have issues with the end result...:rolleyes:

Gillenator