Losing some ground

Paulygon

It's been about 3 years since my procedure. Supplemented my HT with Propecia and Rogaine. Amazing results from bald to a full head of hair.

About 5 months ago I started getting lazy on the Propecia (taking it when I remember but on average about 3-4 times a week). With the Rogaine I've gone down to using it about 3-4x / week (single doses).

I have definitely noticed my hair getting thin and and the crown becoming empty. However, the transplanted hairs have stayed thick, strong & firmly in place.

I looked at some photos from a vacation I took last weekend. I noticed that without enough native hairs (the native hairs would have been thin if they were still there) around my transplanted hair, my hair generally appears awkward. I conclude that there is definitely value in having native (albeit, thin) hairs around the transplanted hairs in order to give a more natural look to your hair style.

Considering I've only been bad at taking the meds for about 5 months, if I go back on the Propecia and Rogaine, can I recover back to the point I was at last year, or have I permanently lost some ground?

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Well, I hate to ask, but can you add some pics? What do you mean awkward? Lighting is definitely an issue, so, some of it could be that?

The question that you posed can not be answered until you get strict with it. I do fin in the morning and minoxidil at night so I always have something working. You also have the option of trying dut and trying some topik. You shouldn't be losing noticeable ground yet since it has only been 3 years on meds so it is likely the fact that you got lax.

Also, you only had 2700 grafts so you have a backup plan as well if you choose.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Pauly,

Good to hear from you!

Sounds like this could be one of two things:

1) You've continued to thin despite the slowing effect of the preventive medications

2) Less compliance with the preventive medications has resulted in more accelerated thinning.

In either scenario, I think the answer may be getting back to a more regimented medication schedule. This is of course assuming that you did well with the medications and they were recommended/prescribed by a doctor familiar with your case -- like the good Dr Mohebi!

I've seen some impressive turn arounds with guys who "lost ground" like yourself while slacking on the preventive medications. I'd be surprised if you weren't able to thicken it up a bit with meds alone. And maybe you should pay a visit to Dr Mohebi and have him take a look?

Like Spanker said, pictures will be helpful as well.

Look forward to your reply!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.