Fin and Body Hair

Is there a correlation between how body hair responds to fin, whether growing slower or faster, and its effectiveness on the scalp? Many seem to have slowed/weakened body hair growth, whereas I am experiencing faster/stronger growth of body hair. I'm two months in and definitely going through the "shed" phase, though it might be slowing. And it could be my imagination/bias but the hair I do have might be of higher quality than before. So those would be indications I'm a responder to fin, but I am still concerned about which direction the body hair/scalp hair correlation goes, if any. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Edited by giantanddwarf

Giant,

As you probably know, DHT affects scalp and body follicles differently. In sensitive scalp follicles, DHT causes miniaturization; in sensitive body hair follicles, it causes robust growth. Cruel joke, right?

Because of this, many people do see changes -- usually a reduction -- in body hair while taking finasteride. However, I don't think it correlates with how well one is responding to the medication. It likely means that it is affecting your DHT levels. So this is good. However, I haven't seen anything conclusively showing a correlation between body hair changes and positive scalp response.

But, the fact that you are shedding and seeing a change in your body hair means you are probably a positive responder to the medication. Let's hope this is the case!

Grow well and keep us updated!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It would be interesting to hear more guys respond to this topic...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the informative reply, Dr. Bloxham. So the shed and other indicia mean the medication is not only active in the body, but also successfully fighting hair loss? I always just thought it was the former. You get lots of people who go on fin and don't see benefits claiming it made them shed but that could just be a genetics related spike as opposed to something fin related.

Giant,

I think it means something is happening -- meaning you are a "responder." Like I, and KO, said earlier, however, I don't think there is any conclusive evidence showing a correlation between body hair changes and how well it will work for you in the long run. But I do think it means "something is happening." And I also think the shedding means you will likely see a response in the scalp. I agree with KO: watch closely and see what happens!

Best of luck!

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Giant,

I think it means something is happening -- meaning you are a "responder." Like I, and KO, said earlier, however, I don't think there is any conclusive evidence showing a correlation between body hair changes and how well it will work for you in the long run. But I do think it means "something is happening." And I also think the shedding means you will likely see a response in the scalp. I agree with KO: watch closely and see what happens!

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Fast forward a couple months and my chest hair volume/thickness has now reduced beyond even pre-fin levels, along with that of my eyebrow hair. And scalp shedding has ground to a halt. I am mildly concerned about my eyebrows (though I would gladly accept the tradeoff, of course). Do long-term fin users recover their eyebrow volume? My skin-hair contrast is low so it's not a huge concern, luckily.

Interesting...not heard of changes in eye brow hair with finasteride use.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY