Is 22 too young for a HT?

Great video. I think that's the kind of patient that it's appropriate to treat at 23; balding pattern is clearly established and is very advanced. That's a whole different ballgame then giving a kid with some minor temple recession a super low hairline with 2,000 grafts.

• Administrators

That is the smart way to address hair restoration in young guys, at 23 hed almost certainly headed for Norwood 6 by 30, those 2,500 grafts will allow him to style his hair still when he's 30 and look good.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Earlier hair transplantation in patients in their early 20s were generally avoided by hair restoration surgeons. However, it is now thought that in a select group of patients with advanced baldness hair transplantation can be an effective procedure and gives a psychological boost to these patients. However, these patients must be informed that because of the progressive nature of hair loss they would be needing further transplant procedures as they age and lose more hair.

In young patients, I prefer not to give a hair line of men in their 40s! I know that the hair line that they are getting would be permanent but I tend to slightly lower the hair line otherwise even a good transplant would make them look much older compared to their age. Again, this is a matter of debate and many hair restoration surgeons would differ completely in their views, I respect their views also.

Having said this, there is actually nothing to choose between FUT and FUE in these young patients: I perform both according to what they ask for.

Dr. Souvik Adhikari MBBS MS MCh

Consultant Cosmetic, Plastic & Hair Restoration Surgeon

India

I think Dr. Lindsey makes some excellent points, although I think you might be too young for HT.

IMHO, older pts are more likely to be satisfied with HT than younger pts. This does not mean that their results are better or worse, just that they are satisfied more. Younger guys seem to really want a full(er) head of hair which may not always be achievable, while older pts or pts who had very advanced hair loss pre-HT, are more likely to be satisfied with a more modest result and a higher hairline. A 40 or 50 year old man may be very comfortable with a mature (high) hairline, but this may not satisfy someone in their 20's.