Post FUE: Nanogen fibres or buzz cut?

Hi there, I'm 3 weeks post op now and shock loss is setting in. I'll soon lose all of the hairs that were transplanted. This worries me as I want to conceal it as best as possible.

What have people gone for after their FUR hair transplant?

Did you use Nanogen fibres to try and cover up the lost hair or did you buzz cut it really short?

Cheers

CJ

I'm 2 weeks post-op and majority of my transplant hairs are still intact. Not looking forward to the shockloss if at 3 weeks post-op since that's when I need to report back to work.

My plan is to use Caboki, found it to look more natural than nanogen and toppik. Might also use Couvre around the donor area too.

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

The thing about using cosmetic protein fibers is that they need other hair to adhere to stay in place.

If shockloss occurs, it generally happens 2-3 weeks post-op.

Buzzing the hair down looks more natural and then all of your hair including the grafts will tend to grow back more uniformly. You may have to buzz down several times until the regrowth occurs since the grafts won't start growing for 3-4 months post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Sounds good- I'll be following that advice gillenator. Even though the decision to sport a buzz cut will come a surprise to anyone who knows me, it's believable and will disguise the bald patches and regrowth. Also, if required I'll stoop to make-up to hide the redness if it can't be passed of as sunburn at 4 weeks.

Thanks gillenator and all. That's a fair point. I guess if there's no hair for the fibres to attach to then they won't hold anyway. A 0.5 buzz cut will have to suffice. Can I do that at 3 weeks or should I wait for it to settle down more?

Make up to cover the redness may gave to be done. My worry is that I might damage the hair follicles though.

Any additional thoughts people?

Cheers

I personally wouldn't buzz post op for at least 6 months, different docs have conflicting views on this, you need to ask your doctor his opinion, my doctor recommended 6 months it's really not worth the stress worrying if you have damaged the grafts

Even though I'd like to stay buzzed throughout recovery, I'll play it safe if need be. When I've had my hair clippered in the past I can't recall a tugging sensation so i'm surprised it's so risk after the grafts have become safe at the 10 day mark. What makes buzzing so risky that it must be avoided for so long?

In most cases, three months is not an issue. The key is that the clippers is not dull and drags the buzz cut. The cut should be clean and not causing any traction or undue tension on the hair shafts.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY