Flying After a Transplant - How long Should you wait?

Hi Guys!

Question is simple - How long should one wait before flying in an airplane after a hair transplant?

Just curious, as all surgeons seem to give different post-op instructions when it comes to flying (based on what i have found online)

Reason asking is I plan on flying from Ottawa back to Toronto (literally 45-50 minutes in the air). Planning on staying in Ottawa atleast for 36 hours post op. I can understand the need to wait a couple days for those going on transatlantic flights as its generally a longer flight.

Anyone fly after a transplant? and if so how long did you wait?

On a side note - what did you wear through the airport!! haha

Thanks !

I have had many many patients fly within 12-24 hours of the procedure with absolutely no problem. In fact, the sitting up in the plane for however long the flight is is actually a good thing as it allows the fluid and swelling to drain downward away from the transplants whether you had FUT or FUE.

if you have FUT and surgical staples are used there will be no problem going through the magnetometer. This is because while the staples are in fact metal, the density is very low so the magnetometer doesn't sound.

If you wear a hat that is usually no problem. If security asks you to take it off tell them you just had scalp surgery and would prefer not to and request they "wand" you instead. It's just another magnetometer which is hand held. Don't ask me why they bother since you will have already gone through the big magnetometer, but that's how it's done. None of my patients have ever had a problem nor been embarrassed.

Best of luck with your Ht and grow well.

Dr. Feller

I flew a few days after my procedure - and I was "asked" to take my hat off when I went through airport security. I did not have the quick wit of Dr. Feller to say that I just had scalp surgery! gotta remember that one ... What I also encountered was that they took my saline spray bottle which had less than 10oz of saline water - but because the bottle was not clearly marked for size, they didn't allow me to take it through security. Luckily my flight was not that long, but I did go into the plane's bathroom and soaked some napkins and used them to squeeze some water on my grafts - a little hint from the doctor's office! Other than those few things, travel was alot less stressful and fearful than I had imagined. Nobody really cares .. and that's the honest truth ...

Thanks for the great feedback thus far!

Yes I have travelled enough to know they will toss any liquids big enough if tried to carry on. So I will be checking my spray bottles of saline, etc at baggage check so one less thing to worry about!

I flew a few days after my procedure - and I was "asked" to take my hat off when I went through airport security. I did not have the quick wit of Dr. Feller to say that I just had scalp surgery! gotta remember that one ... What I also encountered was that they took my saline spray bottle which had less than 10oz of saline water - but because the bottle was not clearly marked for size, they didn't allow me to take it through security. Luckily my flight was not that long, but I did go into the plane's bathroom and soaked some napkins and used them to squeeze some water on my grafts - a little hint from the doctor's office! Other than those few things, travel was alot less stressful and fearful than I had imagined. Nobody really cares .. and that's the honest truth ...

Wow, I hope you used bottled water and not the airplane tap water!

Hi Guys!

Question is simple - How long should one wait before flying in an airplane after a hair transplant?

Just curious, as all surgeons seem to give different post-op instructions when it comes to flying (based on what i have found online)

Reason asking is I plan on flying from Ottawa back to Toronto (literally 45-50 minutes in the air). Planning on staying in Ottawa atleast for 36 hours post op. I can understand the need to wait a couple days for those going on transatlantic flights as its generally a longer flight.

Anyone fly after a transplant? and if so how long did you wait?

On a side note - what did you wear through the airport!! haha

Thanks !

Very interesting - I know Dr Rahal requires that you don't fly for at least 3 days post-op for shorter flights, and 5 days for longer flights. I would be worried about the dimwit sitting behind me by mistake knocking the grafts.

It probably makes sense to transfer some saline into a carry-on size bottle and check the rest.