Mav1729

Hi Guys,

I am considering a hair transplant surgery soon. And I am only 2 weeks into the medication (1.25 mg Finesteride & Rogaine Foam twice daily).

My questions to you is :

Should I wait for the results to kick in from the use of these medications and then consider surgery ? If yes, then how long ?

I am probably very naive here in assuming that if the results from these medications were good, they would be nullified by getting a hair transplant in those regions? Is that the case ?

I saw some results on the Bernstein Medical page for patients who are only treated with the above medicines and show exceptional regrowth.

Would greatly appreciate any advise on this topic.

Cheers!

Hey buddy,

There can only be one MAV here, but you can be Goose.

Unless you are targeting the crown, go ahead with the surgery, leave the crown alone, and then see if it worked on re growing the crown. At a minimum, Fin and Ninox will slow down future hair loss, but don't expect regrowth like you see on Bernstein's site, those are exceptions rather than the norm.

Have you had a consultation with a surgeon yet? If not, that would be my first step. Whether or not now is a good time for you to have a hair transplant can depend on quite a few other factors, the least of which being the pending results of the medication. Your age, current stage of hair loss, projected future hair loss, etc. is all going to play a role here in your final decision. A recommended surgeon from this site is a great place to start, and they'll be able to advise you on the best plan of action.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for your response guys.

@ Mav : You can be the primary Mav here ;-)

@pkipling : Sorry I should have included some background with the post.

I have had a few consultations and a few pending with Dr Gabel and Dr Hasson. ( Got recommendation for them from the forum members. Many thanks )

I have done quite a bit of research and have consulted with a dermatologist as well, and according to them I am a good candidate for a HT. I haven't gotten a good answer to my above question though.

I just want to get one surgery and I don't really want to leave the vertex area for a later procedure mainly because the cost of HT is substantial. I am willing to wait a few months if its worth it, but I surely don't want the result of surgery to mask the benefits from these medicines. (beside maintaining existing hair)

Have any of you guys noticed significant results from these medications alone, something like the pictures from Bernstein Group. (I know those might be corner cases but I am an optimistic guy :))

Cheers!

I didn't start taking Finasteride until I had already decided to get a HT, and had the procedure shortly thereafter. So I don't have a personal gauge on how well the medication alone worked for me. I can say that I have noticed a considerable decrease in my hair fall since I've been on finasteride. Before I started taking the medication and had my hair transplant, I was seeing handfuls of hair in my hands when I washed my hair.... Now, just the standard, normal amount.

I personally wouldn't count on the medication alone to substantially regrow your hair. I would view it more as a preventative measure, and any hairs that grow back would be considered a bonus. I think the results we see where almost entire heads of hair are restored are the outliers, though you could be one of the lucky ones.

If you're planning on having a HT anyway and the consultations you've had thus far have deemed you a good candidate, I would go ahead and proceed. If you wanted to wait a year though just in case the medication is enough to fix your problem, there's nothing wrong with that. In the grand scheme of things, one extra year of waiting is nothing and will probably go by faster than you realize.

You mentioned not wanting to have additional procedures due to financial reasons. First off, I think it's always wise to anticipate that a followup procedure down the road is a very likely possibility. Secondly, even breaking up your HT into two procedures won't necessarily cost you more money than if you were to do it all at once. You're going to be charged each time for the number of grafts you have done, not by the procedure itself. Granted, there is often a "minimal charge", but if you're getting a relatively substantial number, this wouldn't even come into play. 2,000 grafts, for example, will most likely cost you the same if you do them all in one session, or break them up and do 1,200 one time, and 800 a couple years down the road. Just something to think about.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56