Scar visible with wet hair

I've had 2 FUE procedures totaling 3500 grafts. I just got a FUT strip procedure 2 weeks ago 1700 grafts. I've never looked at my hair when it was soaking wet from the back before until tonight when I got out of the shower. I was shocked to see that you could totally see my scalp in the back and the scar from the FUT. I've had quite a bit of shock loss since the FUT. Just want to know if this is common after three procedures like I have done. Is it common to see the scar in the scalp in the back when the hair is soaking wet? I hope some of it gets better when the shock loss comes back. Any input would be appreciated Thanks.

Hey Willy,

Congrats on the latest procedure!

The scar is still inflamed and red-ish 2 weeks after the procedure. It will become less visible as all this calms down. You could also have some shock loss directly around the donor site, which makes everything temporarily more visible. Keep in mind that you also probably have some general thinning in the region from the prior FUE procedures as well.

However, I don't think this is anything to be concerned about yet. Everything is still healing up. There is no reason to believe you won't be able to conceal the incision with a reasonable cut (I tell patients a 3 buzz/guard -- or higher, obviously -- and you're good) when things have calmed down.

I hope you'll keep us updated! Happy growing.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey Bigwilly,

I am not sure how common it is but mine is still very visible when wet at over 12 months post-op from my second procedure. I've noticed this problem at around 1 month out. Like Dr Blake said, you still have time for it to improve.

I wish i could still cut my hair to a number 3 guard.

Hey Willy,

Congrats on the latest procedure!

The scar is still inflamed and red-ish 2 weeks after the procedure. It will become less visible as all this calms down. You could also have some shock loss directly around the donor site, which makes everything temporarily more visible. Keep in mind that you also probably have some general thinning in the region from the prior FUE procedures as well.

However, I don't think this is anything to be concerned about yet. Everything is still healing up. There is no reason to believe you won't be able to conceal the incision with a reasonable cut (I tell patients a 3 buzz/guard -- or higher, obviously -- and you're good) when things have calmed down.

I hope you'll keep us updated! Happy growing.

Dr. Blake, how long, in general, do you recommend waiting to buzz it with a #4 or higher after a hair transplant? How long does it take for the scar, generally speaking, to heal enough where it's not visible with a semi-short buzz cut?

Thanks.

Td,

Sorry to hear about this. It does take at least 12 months for the wound to fully mature. So you may still have some flattening and decrease in the redness. This was your second procedure, right? How did the scar look after the first one?

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Hairhistory,

Most of our patients buzz down after the staples come on between day 10-14. From what I see at the office, the scars are well hidden starting at that point in time.

Td,

Sorry to hear about this. It does take at least 12 months for the wound to fully mature. So you may still have some flattening and decrease in the redness. This was your second procedure, right? How did the scar look after the first one?

Don't want to hijack Bigwilly's tread but yes this was my second procedure. My first scar was great in my opinion. I was able to cut my hair to a #3 before. Even Dr Arocha mentioned it was tough to find during our consultation.

Hi Hairhistory,

Most of our patients buzz down after the staples come on between day 10-14. From what I see at the office, the scars are well hidden starting at that point in time.

Really, that soon? I just had a third FUT exactly 1 month ago from today & my scar is still visible with #6 clippers. I was shocked when I first noticed it. I'm using a lipstick-type color-me-grey concealer that I bought from Sally's Beauty to cover it until I have enough growth. I never buzzed my hair with my first two FUT's, so I have nothing to compare it to.

For most individuals, the redness in the scar will dissipate completely however the time table does vary. From my own observations, at around six months post-op or so, the scar is thin and resumes normal scalp color.

This is providing of course that the scar comes out thin with normal healing.

And some guys opt for the trico method of closure, and if successful with hair growing through the scar, it's very difficult to see the scar even when the hair is wet.

It's a good idea to keep the length in the donor area at least one inch or so for those guys who had their procedures less than six months ago.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

The scalp can tend to be drier after a HT procedure which is not unusual.

You can try using an aloe rich shampoo and cr?me rinse which will benefit the entire scalp and help reduce the itching sensation.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Itching may be nothing, normal healing, or the beginning of hypertrophic scarring.

I tell our patients that they NEED to use vitamin E oil on the scar twice a day for 2 months. Now probably only 1/3 do. And I ask all of them, strip or FUE to roll in in a month so that I can check there scar...as that's when its usually itchy....Probably half show. But out of those, probably 2 or 3 a year need treatment for early hypertrophic scarring. And if you catch it early, you can almost always stop or reverse it.

Bottom line, I'd check with your doctor and get his opionion now.

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians