Bad news from doc

Hey guys , this is my first post here. I have lurked for awhile though . I finally decided to get a consult with Dr. Vito Quatella. He informed me that I would need 3 sessions , 1800 grafts a piece. And after that I still would have a light area on my crown. He said because my hair line is still low it creates more real estate to cover. He also said my hair is bad , and I just do not have enough in the back. Pretty crushing blow that I am going to be completely bald soon and no options .

Thats tough to hear i imagine. The thing you could do is shave your hair down. I know I would never have considered this as i have never shaved my head before thinking it would look terrible. However when I went to have my hair transplant and had my hair shaved off, I actually liked it. It gave me some comfort that I can shave my hair if i wanted to.

It could also take away those worries you have about your hair. It was a great feeling everyday not having to bother doing my hair. Give it a go see what you think, I know I would never have done it until I had to have it shaved.

all the best

Edited by shanson
spelling mistake

Consult with a few other top docs. Why would he only try to obtain 1800 grafts for the first procedure? It makes more sense to me to go for 3K or more and then see where to take it from there.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I am not sure why he only does 1800. He is highly recommended in the area(rochester,ny). I was wondering if it's common to be told after three sessions still not perfect . I am not even bald or anything like that where it's completely horrible . Also how is that price tag in comparisons to others ? 10k each one .

I actually agree, go see other surgeons and see what they think. Most people have more than one transplant. To be told that after 3 you would not be happy is odd. I went Europe for my FUE and the price was ok.

I, like some of the other posters, recommend seeking other opinions from other doctors. To me, one thing to STAY AWAY from are doctors who offer more services than just hair transplanting, as this doctor also offers a variety of plastic surgeries besides hair transplanting. They are a few Drs. in NY that are recommended on here, Dr.Feller/Dr.Bloxman, Dr.Brenstein & Dr.Beehner. Again, don't sell yourself short with just one Drs.opinions, i guarantee, each Dr. will have a different recommendation, its then your job to do your Homework and seek out the best solution.

30,000 dollars and still be told it won't be great coverage, OK maybe he's just trying to be honest with you, given your hair loss situation, nice to see some pics to see if some of the experienced guys agree with him ,

definitely check-out other Docs never go with just one docs opinion try at least 3-4 recommended Docs if possible. Lots of American guys have travelled abroad who have posted on this site I'm sure they will give you good advice

Thanks for the replies guys . Going to contact some more docs.

Don't bother with any surgeons in the New York area. Rather consult with Hasson & Wong or another of the big fish recommended by this site. If you need a large mega session for the maximim number of grafts, H& W is your best bet.

Any surgeon stating they can only do max 1800 grafts in a single session is a disgrace - bon't even bother