SMP for actor Corey Stoll-The Strain??

I don't know if any of you guys watch the FX tv show The Strain, but I have been following it since it aired last summer. The actor, Corey Stoll, plays the lead character "Ephraim Goodweather", and is shiny bald on top of his scalp in real life, but had been wearing a hairpiece to play this role, up until Sunday Night's episode. On the latest episode of The Strain, Stoll's character on the show needed to change his appearance in order travel incognito, so he "shaved" his head. After the head shaving scene (funny to see a guy shaving off his hairpiece lol) Corey Stoll's character is revealed with a shaven head, but in contrast to the way he appears in real life he now has the appearance of stubble on the top of his head.

At first I thought Corey Stoll may have received a Scalp Micropigmentation treatment for the role. But if he did actually have anything done, im sure he would have gone the temporary tricopigmentation route. More than likely, he just has a make up artist simulating follicles on his scalp and washes it off at the end of the day in the shower, and then has it done again each day before they shoot.

Either way, I find it interesting that the producers realized the need to simulate follicles on his scalp to make it more believable for the story line that Stoll's character is a man with a full head of hair who shaved his head. As opposed to just leaving him naturally shiny bald for the on screen transition.

Coreystoll1.jpg.0315292c8ab9a79ffec19bafbc5d2e07.jpg

Coreystoll5.jpg.a70265158d84ad9958eee363a75aa6c2.jpg

Edited by BaldKen2

A guy who recently consulted with us uses Toppik applied via an atomizer to achieve this effect. It actually looks pretty good in pictures. He is tired of applying it everyday, though, as well as tired of the mess it can leave behind so he is keen on having SMP done. I'm guessing Hollywood makeup artists use that technique as well. The only issue with the Stoll character, if you're a stickler, is that the buzz hairline appears drastically different than the hair piece hairline!

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I only know of him from House of Cards and I would've never recognized him with the hairpiece. It changes his appearance entirely.

Good call on production to recognize the need for the stubble. It looks great. I wonder if it will make him consider SMP in his real life.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56