Stopping Propecia after 17 plus years

jsnw

I’ve been taking Propecia, Dut, or Proscar for the last 17 plus years. A few years back when I was taking the drug regularly I tried experimenting with lowering my dosage to save money. Eventually I got down to a couple of pills a week. I looked at the back of my head one day and my crown basically disappeared. I started taking the pills again every day but the crown never came back. The drug always helped with the crown but I was always steadily losing hair in the front. I decided to throw in the towel and in March of 2014 I had a large FUE procedure and it turned out amazing.

About a month ago I stopped taking the drug all together. Hoping I didn’t make a mistake but I believe I had enough hairs moved around to keep me happy. One of the reasons for doing the surgery was so I wouldn’t have to worry about taking drugs, Rogaine, specialty shampoos, and all the other crap I’ve ever tried. I still need to have another small procedure in my crown area but I’m happy where I am now. So far I have not noticed hairs falling out. Weird thing is that I’ve been getting more compliments on my hair since I quit.

I don’t believe I ever experienced any major side effects from the drugs like I hear some people talking about. I did notice small things like not having morning erections but within a couple weeks of stopping those have come back, even at my age of 44. I’ll be curious to see what happens. Sometimes I wonder if the changes from the drugs were so subtle over time that I didn’t notice. I don’t think so but we’ll see what happens..

jsnw,

Good luck! Please keep us updated on your experience. I quite fin for a few years and saw some increase in hair loss. I'm now back on it (.5mg daily). No side effects this time aroudn for some reason but I'd still love to be medication free.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

It would be great for you to document your changes I've the next year or so.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Very interesting experiment. Please keep us updated and maybe snap some pictures every few weeks. I've been on Propecia for 10+ years and always wonder what might happen if I stopped. Congrats on the latest procedure.

That is a really long time on propecia. Your case could be used as an example for long term efficacy of the drug. It would be great if you could post some chronological pictures along with your story.