Hibiscrub (antiseptic) on pimples 3 weeks post op

Hello,

so i started having pimples on the recipient area 3 weeks after the FUE procedure and my doctor prescribed me Hibiscrub which contains only Chlorhexidine.

I applied it yesterday and all the pimples faded from red into light pink.

Does anyone know if it has a negative effect on the grafts in such a early stage (3 weeks) since the doctor told me to use it when pimples appear 3+ months after the operation.

Thank you in advance!

IMHO, I would never put an antiseptic on my recipient area, pimples or not. The pimples are usually an indication of new hair shafts coming through however it seems rather early in your case.

I wonder though if this hibiscrub is herbal based? If so, then I would change my mind.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

No the only ingredient of it is chlorhexidine. The package insert even says that you can use it to disinfect your hands and even your face.

Do you think that graft growth would be affected by it? Why would a doctor give it then?

IMHO, I would never put an antiseptic on my recipient area, pimples or not. The pimples are usually an indication of new hair shafts coming through however it seems rather early in your case.

I wonder though if this hibiscrub is herbal based? If so, then I would change my mind.

:confused:

Now I'm extremely worried. Please tell you're not all that serious here. If antiseptics are a threat to growth why are they not mentioned in any post op guides?? It's second nature to put them on pimples and superficial cuts/bruises.

I had 3 or 4 pimples that filled up with pus. I drained them with a needle. Then I would get a tiny amount (less than a drop) of alcohol free bepanthenum or Betadine on a q-tip, put that on the pimple for a minute and then rinse it all off with warm water. I was too afraid of getting an infection so I thought that would be the lesser evil.

These are over the counter medicines so I really did not expect this to be an issue. When patients get an infection they're be treated with prescription only antibiotic creams or even steriods. Surely over the counter antiseptics creams are harmless and less potent.

Are you worried they are absorbed into the bloodstream and wipe out grafts? They use antiseptics for the donor area healing immediately post op...

Edited by ZeoRanger
Added info

Thank you for the answer.

Im a little bit worried because i haven't read anything on the internet of applying antiseptics on the recipient area.

Just got up and all pimples disappeared over night without any pain. It was just 4 of them.

The reason why i decided to use Hibiscrub is because on my first hairtransplant i had pimples which got inflamed and the doctor (a different one) prescribed me nothing for it. On those areas the growth was significantly less dense. I guess the inflammation killed some grafts there.

Now im very paranoid when it comes to pimples and it was good that the current doctor gave me this antiseptics with my post op kit.

It can't be so aggressive because you can even use it as a shampoo too. Nevertheless im worried because i always hear that the grafts are weak after they have anchored.

The point is that i haven't read anything on the internet regarding antiseptics on pimples on the recipient site and maybe growth can be affected... :(

Fact is that an antiseptic cream is not the same as hair removal cream.

Whatever happened to the statement that "you can't damage your grafts after they have anchored" and that you can only remove them surgically?

Until light is shed on this issue I recommend you put a cloth soaked in warm water on your pimples. That will drain them out as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

It's not that I was implying that an antiseptic would necessarily impair the regrowth of the grafts, It's more of the "why" issue for me.

Possibly there is a superseding medical condition or concern that would precipitate the use of it and unless we have more information, it's hard to know. And at the same time doctors will vary in their post-op care and recommendations for their own patients. Typically an anti-biotic would be used to dispel an infection or the stronger probability or suspicion of post-op infection based on the individuals current and even past medical history. Some individuals can be more prone to infections.

And there are factors involved. Pimples from the regrowth of grafts in themselves are not an issue. However if there is evidence of puss, swelling, inflammation, acute redness, etc., then yes that can be a sign of infection, folliculitis, and the like, and would call for further treatment at the doctor's own discretion.

And speaking for myself, I may at times overstep my bounds to question a medical directive since I am not the professional and know nothing of the details involving that particular case being discussed.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY