What can explain loosing a graft on day 13 post op?

Hey guys,

So this morning, after a shower, I found a graft. The photo attached isn't very clear, but there is a hair coming out of the thicker end of the white thing on the photo.

It's definitely a graft, and the white thing is obviously the dead skin. There was no blood. The way it looks on the photo is the way I found it, ie white and obviously dead. The only way I can explain it myself is that it had been in my hair since the operation and I found it today, but it had been out a while. Otherwise there would be blood, right? Or is it possible for dead grafts to still be anchored in the scalp and then eventually come out?

Does anyone know why I could find a dead graft on day 13?

Thanks

image.jpg.4732694df68491f99c6d3616bc16cbc1.jpg

It's unusual to lose a graft 13 days post-op. I opened your pic in a new window to enlarge the photo and I agree that it's not a graft. Looks more like the dead tissue above the scalp line.

And it's true that when a complete graft does come out in whole, there is a steady stream of blood that oozes from the recipient site where the graft was placed. So if you did not see a strong trickle or stream of blood oozing down your scalp, you have nothing to worry about.

Conversely, dead graft tissue (crusting) does shed roughly 2-4 weeks post-op.

Congrats on your recent procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY