Finasteride 1mg Price Increase

Dord

Because I don't trust generics. Too much risk

Pretty sure there's no risk involved.

Do you think that GPs would prescribe medication that wasn't fit for purpose? Remember, finasteride isn't primarily a "hair-loss drug". By all means continue lining Merck's pockets though ;)

Because I don't trust generics. Too much risk

At least in the U.S., generic drugs must follow strict guidelines for bioequivalence with their brand name counterpart. Generic drugs are allowed to slightly range in dosage, but for finasteride this is not much of a concern because of its longer half-life.

Either your dosage is a bit high, which should not matter much at the 1mg level, or your dosage is a bit low, which also should not matter much given the small difference in efficacy found between doses of 1mg and .75mg.

It can't hurt to try a generic given the high prices you're paying. And if you do not like one generic there may be others to choose from. Plus, you can use your newfound savings on herbal treatments, some of which I have found beneficial when used in supplement with recommended medications ;)

• 3 weeks later...

What are people's experiences with generic Finasteride 1mg? I'm currently taking the 5mg and cutting it into quarters. However my transplant surgeon in the UK has advised against this as I may not get the same dose each day. He also advised against the generic 1mg as he said he isn't sure it is as effective as the branded Propecia. He advised me to get it from the Boots programme so it's not as though he's advising me for any personal gain you himself. He feels that as I've just had my transplant and I'm NW 6 it's crucial I try to stop losing any further hair and so I should give the propecia 12 months to see how effective it is. Thoughts?

Ps I have a friend who is owns a Pharmacist so he can get me at trade prices, 6 months supply...

Generic 1mg for 50 GBP

Propecia 1mg for 180 GBP