Dilemma: Should I go for #2?

Hi everyone. Well here's my situation. I had a 2000 graft HT (to front 1/3) with a top doc here about one year ago, and I'm happy overall with the results. It's not as dense as I would like and the hairline could be a little lower, but I look and feel better and younger. Most importantly the result is very natural. I am 51 years old, no meds (which I can not tolerate bc of libido sides), hairloss stabilized for 5 years +. My vertex and crown are thin and I would like to improve my hairline. My dilemma is that the first surgery produced a more or less undetectable donor scar and I'm afraid if I go for a second that I would need to have another strip (I guess I would need another 2-3k grafts) and that I may not be so lucky next time with the donor scar or overall results. I almost feel (when I read about people who regret their HT because of donor scar issues or bad results) that I have the decision to make all over again. Maybe I just got lucky the first time and should be happy with what I have and not take a chance. On the other hand, maybe it could be a lot better with one more procedure and I would have similiar or better results. What would you do? Thanks.

kydd....I can imagine your dilema....having ended up with a positive result and a nice scar Im sure its like having that first HT all over again. I would consider 2 things, first do you wear your hair very short that a less the perfect scar would show? And second is you did have a positive result both with the scar and your HTs improvement to your looks which you like. So having a second hair transplant might give you the look and the density that you desire and there is a good chance you will still have a very good scar after your second HT. Which would be awesome and thats what I would have to consider if it was me! I feel for ya and know what a tough decsion this is! Best of luck whatever you decide!

If you decide to have the second procedure I would recommend doing scalp stretching exercises for several months prior to the surgery. You may be able to break up or loosen some of the scar tissue and create a little more elasticity for the doctor. Even if you can get a few millimeters of additional movement, this could make removing the prior scar easier and allow the doctor to close the donor wound under minimal tension. I would also ask if the doctor uses a two layer donor closure technique. This technique allows the donor wound to be approximated with as little tension as possible while also being able to remove more donor tissue for the second procedure.

Thank you for the replies. Although I was happy with the doctor, I am leaning toward a different doctor for round 2, if I do it. One consideration is I would like to avoid shaving again as I had alot of down time from work where I can not where a hat. The first doc did a tri-closure. I believe my scalp was tight to begin with, at least that's what one doctor (Dr Berstein) told me when I had a consultation with him. Maybe the scar was good because it was a relatively small strip. There was also no shockloss in the donor area. I guess I wondering if I'm being overly worried, as the result was relatively good the first time, or on the other hand, should I leave well enough alone. I mean I suppose even though I'm 51, my hairloss will progress (although it has been stable for a number of years) and maybe I should wait because of that alone?

I typically advise my patients it is a personal decision. If they are happy where they are at then they do not need to do anything. IF you are concerned about the scar on a second procedure and want to have something done, consult with your doctor, explain these concerns and be conservative. Do not give your Doctor an ultimatum I have heard before, this is my last procedure so take out the max you can do. This usually will lead to areas of potential increased donor tension. Accept that you want to be conservative to get the best acceptable donor scar irregardless of the number of grafts obtained. Make sure he or she understands that the donor scar appearance is your highest priority.

Thank you Dr. Mejia. The thing is that its good, I'm happy but I feel like with just a little more the result could be really good. Would a second procedure of around 2k grafts generally be considered conservative? Would that likely leave some in reserve for future hair loss? Should I consider fue? I wonder also whether I should wait because of the prospect of future hairloss (even at 51 yrs old)?

It all depends on your density and physical examination and tightness of scalp etc. You can get multiple different personal opinions. However, as a physician i can not tell you what to do without a proper consult and exam. For some cases it is conservative, in others it might be stretching it.

If in the opinion of your doctor,2000 grafts is nothing with minimal to no tension and he gives you good comfort with the donor scar, then many would consider this a reasonable risk to get what yhou want without sacrificing the donor area

At 51, you are pretty much stabalised, if you think that a 2nd HT will make you look and feel better, than go for it! My advice, stick with the same Dr., let him finish what he started...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...