Dr. U’s Patient Returns for 2000 Additional BHT Grafts - Update

This patient initially came to our office to repair the results of a strip surgery which left him with a linear scar, continued Norwood 6 baldness and a depleted donor supply. Achieving the type of coverage he wanted required about 6000 grafts. The majority of these follicles were extracted from the beard areas. This year, the patient had his second procedure with Dr. U to further improve upon his density.

The recent later surgery was performed using 2000 additional grafts, bringing his exact total for both sessions to 8047 grafts harvested from the following areas

Scalp (3178 grafts)

Beard (4525 grafts)

Nape (344 grafts)

Here are before and after photos:

strip-scar-left-side-repair.jpg

strip-scar-repair-before-after.jpg

hairline-temples-post-2000-grafts.jpg

crown-baldness-reversed.jpg

full-face-view-before-after.jpg

In this video, Dr. U discusses the different areas of the patient’s procedure that were targeted. This includes his hairline and temples which were designed and created through a very and meticulous approach to ensure a very gradual and seamless transition to the rest of the hair.

Overall, the patient’s final outcome were contingent on two main factors:

(1) coverage

(2) detailed placement of the graft insertions

The extent of coverage was of course dependent on the vast graft quantity which was extracted. Given the patient’s depleted donor supply, this quantity was made possible through the use of Dr. U’s UGraft technology. This instrument is designed for the safe harvesting of follicles from the beard area as well as optimized wound healing results.

Beyond extractions, the natural looking quality of the patient’s outcome was due to proper planning and Dr. U’s ability to recreate realistic growth patterns unique to the patient through specific slit creation parameters.

if the player is not displaying

Representing Dr. Umar of DermHair Clinic.

Dr. Umar is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Hi Abbie,

Thanks for sharing! Do you have any close-up images of the beard area shaved? It seems like the patient has some post-operative scarring in the chin region, but it's difficult to tell if this existed previously because he has a beard in the "before" images.

Either way, so glad you were able to help this patient. Thanks, again, for sharing!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake:

Here are close up photos of beard area. The chin is fine. He has mostly grey hair in his beard and the areas with black hair stubble are mostly in the chin area. That is what you are seeing. They are not scars. Down his neck, there are black hair stubble, but they are fewer.

beard-area-close-up.jpg

chin-area-close-up.jpg

Abbie, for this man's temporal reconstruction, were beard hairs used or nape? And how many grafts did it take to do the temples? Seems like it helped frame his face quite a bit. Thanks.

Hi Sean,

Generally for temple areas; Dr U uses one of the following:

1. Head and nape hair (if the patient qualifies for using nape hair)

or

2. Head and nonbeard body hair (for patients that are not good candidates for nape hair use).

In this case the first approach was adopted. Generally anywhere from 300-700 grafts would be sufficient for temple-hairline refinement work

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Abbie,

I have seen some of Dr Umar's work and am particualrly interested in his use of body hair. I know in the past some of his patients have used hair from their legs and I have read about others being able to use armpit hair. Have any of Dr Umar's patients in these circumstances had to return or has the transplanted hair remained?

I am worried about using chest hair due to the scarring, does Dr Umar still use leg or other hair for surgery or is it mainly chest and beard?

I have only recently decided to look further into this so apologies if it has been mentioned in other posts, I will be reading a lot of the next few days.

Thanks

Ben

Hi Abbie,

I have seen some of Dr Umar's work and am particualrly interested in his use of body hair. I know in the past some of his patients have used hair from their legs and I have read about others being able to use armpit hair. Have any of Dr Umar's patients in these circumstances had to return or has the transplanted hair remained?

I am worried about using chest hair due to the scarring, does Dr Umar still use leg or other hair for surgery or is it mainly chest and beard?

I have only recently decided to look further into this so apologies if it has been mentioned in other posts, I will be reading a lot of the next few days.

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

Dr. U uses hair from all parts of the body. Determinations on the different graft types are made on an individualized case by case basis. Some common factors include: available quantities, coverage goals, need to create fine detail (e.g. evenness of texture, gradual transition from thin to thick hairs).

Body hair is certainly capable of lasting long term. Here is an article from our site with an actual patient example and additional detail which you may find useful. Click here and read (towards the bottom) the sections, entitled:

(1) Factors Influencing the Longevity of Leg and Body Hair Grafts

(2) Body Hair Transplant (BHT) Does Not Mean The Use of Beard Donor Only: The Importance of Including Softer, Thinner Grafts In Hair Transplant Surgery

Dr. U performs his BHT surgeries using specialized FUE extraction technology that he developed called UGraft. Here is an animated video which explains how it works.

The features have been designed to safely remove sharply angled follicles, such as those found on many body surfaces. Also the punch creates wound cavities with a specific shape that promotes higher standards of healing on the skin. Any scarring that occurs is typically cosmetically insignificant. We have many examples of patients who have agreed to be featured via photo and video who have had thousands of grafts extracted from their face or other highly visible area, and yet are able to feel confident about their appearance due to the quality of healing that resulted from their surgery.

Here is one such example:

beard-donor-healing-results.jpg

Hope this helps.