Time to take the plunge!!

TrendSetter

Hi Guys,

Long story short, after two hair transplants (one in 2005 and another in 2008 - both in Minneapolis) never could achieve the density I had hoped for. Never considered hair replacements all those years since hair systems were bulky, unnatural and dead giveaways. I have done some research on the latest hair systems and have been very impressed with how natural the hairline looks and appears to be virtually undetectable especially with the lace and skin systems. I am in my early forties now.

I am attaching a few pictures so I can get some guidance for my condition.

I am willing to spend the time and effort required to maintain it and need a few clarifications please..

1) How so much I read, watch videos, creating a template myself is beyond me. I am presently located in India and planning a visit to Canada (Toronto and Ottawa). I am veering towards the option of getting a professional hair saloon create a template for me, do the cut in for the first two systems. I know they are expensive but for a newbie with hair systems I think guidance in the initial part would help me immensely. Once I have the template and having used the systems for some time, would enable me to buy future systems online.

2) I am told lace systems last for around 4-5 months with proper care.. Is it an option for me to get, like 3-5 systems at one go, and use them when needed? Does buying in advance damage the hair systems if we do not use them?

3) I love to wear baseball caps. Will the hair system get damaged in any way by baseball caps?

4) For traveling professionals, how difficult it is to carry the accessories to maintain the system? Is it too much stuff and can this be easily managed??

5) I have shortlisted a couple of salons in the Toronto area with whom I will be taking this further. One is New Roots Studio and the other is 3rd dimension studios. I would love to hear from anyone who has dealt with these guys before. Any other recommendations would be be most welcome.

6) How difficult is the cut in? Can a local stylist get good results?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

P1020716.jpg.c3af086e284fb3d4b0ff8ef697a5b00d.jpg

P1020718.jpg.9f3eee4739cb26a21bee091f1ab3dfa7.jpg

IMG_0205.JPG.9acbf50fa20e127aa6bf02f8ea0c0503.JPG

As I am UK based and I have only ever gone down the DIY route so I am unable to help with feedback on those clinics.

I am of the firm view research, read and learn as much as you can now and you will never need a salon as its not hard at all even making a template is not beyond anyone that can navigate a computer and the web like everyone here :)

Turning to your questions.

I think you are a good candidate for a system - but you need to get the density and other things just right. I think you should start off low.

1) Be careful, most salons will retain the template (as theirs) until you spend weeks and months badgering them or until you give up.

2) My lace systems go for minimum of 6-months. I buy in advance so I always have spares. They generally store for a few years if done correctly. I havent noticed any problems. The most important thing is when you receive the system, the hair is silky and new and not like some places have it in stock for years under bad conditions before they send to an unlucky customer. This was the case for an old supplier I used.

3) Caps and hats will exercise more wear and tear but there are tips to help. I usually wear a cap if under strong and logn sun exposure.

4) You need surprisingly little. Usually, you can find a local stockist or use email. I have had extended trips to Dubai and the USA and its never been an issue.

6) In theory, any barber or salon can cut in a piece, but its seldom that easy. Most will be daunted when presented with a mop of wild hair and if they are not, then they will be scared of attaching for fear of the unknown, even though I could do it and show you or anyone how easy it is!

A really good barber will take the effort to do their own research on the net. Unfortunately, most dont.

In my case, I attach my piece and visit a local barber for the cut in. At first I use to visit him for the blend until he got comfortable with it and now he does my cut ins.

The very first time, I purchased off the net and went to a salon they recommended. It worked out a fraction of the cost of a hair clinic. If you are in a big city there will be options.

Thanks a lot, Grincher! Appreciate your point by point replies. You are indeed a source of inspiration for newbies like me. It all feels mind boggling at the amount of research one has to to for a hair system!! But then it's all for a good cause!

I am sure after wearing it for some time, it would be much easier!

I think for a lace system to last 6 months is pretty good. 2 systems for a year should be very reasonable.

Thanks on the heads up on the template! I will make sure I tell them I need atleast a couple to take away with me. I know the template making will get easy for me with time but I think I will take the help of one of the professionals initially. I have scheduled a couple of Skype consultations for this week so I will see where it leads to. Will update here. Thanks!

Not really. I intend to surprise them!

Another question. Let's say I get a system and have it cut in at a salon. Is it possible to cut in a system

without placing it on the head? For instance, can a stylist cut in a system if I tell him I need a cut in exactly like the one I have? Does the system have to be placed on the head to get a proper cut in?

Any pointers towards what things to consider when going in for stock systems? Is customised systems preferred over stock so the customised piece could match the native hair or is it for detectability reasons too? Also is there a way to find out how old the stock pieces are?

Cheers,

Edited by TrendSetter

I am not a stylist so I cannot be 100% sure, but there are services out there that will do that, however as a customer, like most others I would prefer to wear it for the cut in and I think stylists would be the same.

I only ever buy custom made so I can get the right size, density, colour and other specs. With a stock system you are unlikely to get all you want but you will have something quicker. Hence the reason, when I was happy that wearing was for me, I quickly got spares from my online supplier as back up.

There is no reliable way to know the age of a stock piece. I have heard of some salons that sell infrequently having them sit around for a while. Also how they are stored and the conditions can age a piece prematurely.

I have kept pieces for 3 years in proper conditions and they have been absolutely fine to wear.

Why not go for another Hair transplant it seems like you still have a substantial donor area maybe you just need the right doctor then you can have your own hair and not have to worry about a system

Why not go for another Hair transplant it seems like you still have a substantial donor area maybe you just need the right doctor then you can have your own hair and not have to worry about a system

I did explore that option - Visited a couple of hair transplant doctors in Canada but was

told at best they could get 1000 grafts. That would do nothing given the area I want filled up. Also after having done 2 transplants with one of the best doctors - I believe that unless a person has lots of donor hair, required density cannot be achieved. Plus I am a bit impatient with my current situation now. Wait for 6-9 months for a HT appt and another about 9-12 months for results to show and if the density is not right - back to the drawing boards.

Hair replacements may not have been an option a few years back - but with the latest systems I feel it's worth a shot!

Cheers,

I am not a stylist so I cannot be 100% sure, but there are services out there that will do that, however as a customer, like most others I would prefer to wear it for the cut in and I think stylists would be the same.

I only ever buy custom made so I can get the right size, density, colour and other specs. With a stock system you are unlikely to get all you want but you will have something quicker. Hence the reason, when I was happy that wearing was for me, I quickly got spares from my online supplier as back up.

There is no reliable way to know the age of a stock piece. I have heard of some salons that sell infrequently having them sit around for a while. Also how they are stored and the conditions can age a piece prematurely.

I have kept pieces for 3 years in proper conditions and they have been absolutely fine to wear.

Thank you, Grincher!

In one of my consultations i have been offered a choice of :

Lace or Skin injection

(This being my first system - should I go for Lace?)

Types of human hair -

European, Chinese or Remy Indian

Also does it make more sense, to have 2 systems in hand at any time?

I am planning to keep the hair a bit longer in the second system than in the first one.

So when I change to the second system - there is an look of hair growing (with the longer hair!) Is this practical?

Thank you!

Edited by TrendSetter

Thank you, Grincher!

In one of my consultations i have been offered a choice of :

Lace or Skin injection

(This being my first system - should I go for Lace?)

Types of human hair -

European, Chinese or Remy Indian

Also does it make more sense, to have 2 systems in hand at any time?

I am planning to keep the hair a bit longer in the second system than in the first one.

So when I change to the second system - there is an look of hair growing (with the longer hair!) Is this practical?

Thank you!

1st system probably lace, remy indian - I would stick to one until you know its for you AND because these places tend to charge steeply. How much are they charging for a piece and cut in?

You can also order a second one online once you have a template and spec. When I order through my online supplier the other bits I fill out to get the most authentic pieces include:

1. bleached knots - all over, front or crown.

2. Lace front

3. base colour

4. grey and its density

5. density at front, crown and elsewhere

6. position of crown

7. freestyle or other

8 straight or wavy hair and the curl

9. all lace or part skin

10. colour of hair - its usually taken from a sample I give

11. poly perimete - all round, back and sides, thickness of poly

12. baby hair

13. european or indian (beware of places that sell korean or chinese hair or pass it off as a different type as the hair structure is all wrong). I know of a salon charging over ?1000 a piece doing this. You wont know until you order though.

14. double or single knots and where

Its quite daunting, but any good supplier worth their price would take you through it all so you are more knowledgeable after they know a little about you (well the supplier I use does).

Sadly, a lot of suppliers either want to keep you in the dark and coming back or they themselves dont consider all these matters and gloss over them.

Iam told their systems start from $600. Taxes, shipping, etc. Not sure if that includes the cut in. Will inquire. Presently we are communicating by email and will be setting up a Skype consultation shortly. I would then get the opportunity to ask more questions.

All great information! Thanks.

Also, does the template change with time? I know density will, but will the template undergo major changes? The reason I ask, is if I get a template professionally done, can I use it for a number of years. Also when ordering online, do we have to send the template every time we order? Or will they have it on record and they will just despatch the piece? Cheers,

to be honest with you I only know that most people always have a second system and I know they must be replaced from time to time so the cost can add up and they have to be maintained so you are kind of locked in .My advise is find a reputable place. I know they do look great if done correctly.

1st system probably lace, remy indian - I would stick to one until you know its for you AND because these places tend to charge steeply. How much are they charging for a piece and cut in?

You can also order a second one online once you have a template and spec. When I order through my online supplier the other bits I fill out to get the most authentic pieces include:

1. bleached knots - all over, front or crown.

2. Lace front

3. base colour

4. grey and its density

5. density at front, crown and elsewhere

6. position of crown

7. freestyle or other

8 straight or wavy hair and the curl

9. all lace or part skin

10. colour of hair - its usually taken from a sample I give

11. poly perimete - all round, back and sides, thickness of poly

12. baby hair

13. european or indian (beware of places that sell korean or chinese hair or pass it off as a different type as the hair structure is all wrong). I know of a salon charging over ?1000 a piece doing this. You wont know until you order though.

14. double or single knots and where

Its quite daunting, but any good supplier worth their price would take you through it all so you are more knowledgeable after they know a little about you (well the supplier I use does).

Sadly, a lot of suppliers either want to keep you in the dark and coming back or they themselves dont consider all these matters and gloss over them.

This is indeed a daunting list!! Goes to show how much homework is required to hone in on that 'ideal' system! Thanks.

One question: I spoke with a local guy here. He said they do lace base systems and he said they last approx 4 months. What surprised me was that , he said I would not have to replace the entire system after 4 months - I have to send the system to them and he would add hairs to the old lace base to match the old density and will then send it back. Does it make sense? All that I have read, seems to tell me the old piece is pretty much useless and a new piece has to be ordered. Can more hair be added to a existing lace base? If yes, is this recommended?

Thanks again!

Its very unusual.

Usually, you just get a new piece every 6 months or so.

You will end up with a system with different aged hair and different donors and no doubt changing colours are different rates from UV exposure!

The best hair is from one person (usually their ponytail), collected at the same time and kept in the right polarity. Anything else means cuticles messed up and it will not behave and matt! Think stroking a cat or dog in the wrong direction.

Also his approach is useless if lace weakens or frails as will happen.

Its very unusual.

Usually, you just get a new piece every 6 months or so.

You will end up with a system with different aged hair and different donors and no doubt changing colours are different rates from UV exposure!

The best hair is from one person (usually their ponytail), collected at the same time and kept in the right polarity. Anything else means cuticles messed up and it will not behave and matt! Think stroking a cat or dog in the wrong direction.

Also his approach is useless if lace weakens or frails as will happen.

Makes absolute sense! Thank you!!

• 4 months later...

The wait is over! My systems have arrived!! I have booked an appt to have it fixed (Hopefully middle of Nov)

Thank you Grincher, for getting me started and answering all my questions...

Will post pics once I have it fixed..... Excited!!!

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

Quick question! Are lace systems the same as those systems used on actors in hollywood? I saw online undetectable hair pieces worn by actors in the movies. They look solid. Wondering if any companies can provide these hair systems and which do you suggest.

• 2 weeks later...