Hey Guys,

I'm booked in for FUE 2000 grafts approx on Monday with Dr Feriduni in Belgium. I've buzzed my hair down prior so that people don't ask too many questions of my new hair style post op but it's seems I have real thin/bald patches in my donor area! The thinning of the nape area has been there since I was around 10 years old and doesn't seem to have go any worse since then, better if anything but there are other areas that look to be thinning. What do you think, I'm flying from Australia so dreading the thought of going all that way and not being able to have it done.

I've expressed my concerns with the doc previously to which he replied not to worry but we made need a conservative approach. However, the pics I have sent him previously my hair looks a lot ticker at the back :/

image.jpg.0dcc4b7e2432c17a49d7404eb6499ea8.jpg

Go in with a conservative approach and you should ok. Get and/or stay on fin. Your already in your 30s so if you stick with needs you should be ok with a conservative approach. Ask the doctor to be honest in his appraisal and if it's too risky, enjoy a vacation and skip the procedure.

I always s say you should shave your head and see if you can live with it and be happy and if you can, skip the surgery.

You'll likely need more work down the road ask take that ask into consideration.

Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It's just because your hair is buzzed and pointing straight at the camera, your hair seems fine when its grown out, so don't worry.

As Spanker said go for conservative approach and I hope you are on Fin and Minoxidil..

Thanks Rawkerboi; I'm n fin and have been for 5 years, I didn't seem to gain much advantage from minox after 4 months of use so I stopped it. May actually start again after the op....

I am by no means an expert, but I would be willing to bet you don't have DUPA. As the name indicates, DUPA manifests as unpatterned hairloss. After examining your pictures (especially the one grown out), I only notice some frontal recession. Most of the time, DUPA cases are extremely obvious (assuming it is not in the earliest stages) and hairloss advances rapidly. If you have ever known anyone with a severe thyroid problem, their hairloss could be categorized as DUPA as all hair (including the classic safe zone) thins evenly. I did notice your nape thinning which is PROBABLY one of two things: (1) the clippers just cut a little too deep into that area (have you noticed the thinning after multiple haircuts?) or (2) retrograde alopecia which specifically impacts nape and/or temple hair. If it is the latter, your donor area should still be safe. However, you could always ask your surgeon to reexamine your donor area just to make sure there is not any miniaturization OR delay the procedure just to confirm the thinning does not progress into your donor area.

Thanks FUE2014, I'm staying at the Hassotel that was reccomended by the clinic. I have one night there the. Two after the surgery then was hoping to have a look around Belgium and maybe Germany for a couple of weeks.... Obviously depending on how I heal etc.

Did you have your surgery there?

Thanks Seeker, I have noticed that nape thinning for years now, it was really bad when I was a kid and my doc at the time put it down to the stress of my parents' divorce. It hasn't got any worse for years but there seems to be a spot on the left of my donor area (just below the crown) that I've never noticed before but maybe this is from he clippers as you say.

Just waited so long for this I'm stressing I guess, do you know any incidents of retrograde alopecia that have progressed through the donor area? I've been searching but haven't found any yet.

Yeah last December, I stayed at the Hassotel too, great little hotel (with a gold fish in your room, strangely) and they're used to see ht patients there. Make sure you have some breakfast from the buffet on the morning of the op, which I omitted to do, not good having surgery on an empty stomach !

Hi David88:

If it is retrograde alopecia, I have never seen any pictures where it has progressed into the classic safe zone. It is also encouraging to hear that everything has been stable over a period of years and no thinning is evident when your hair is grown out. Again, to be on the safe side, you can always discuss it with your surgeon just to make sure you feel comfortable about proceeding. I wish you the best of luck!

Unfortunately for me I couldn't wear a bandana cause I had my temple points done too, so I had to walk around with a purple head (from the dye Dr F uses) and I'm not going to lie, it was embarrassing. I stayed in the hotel two days post op and did get a bit bored as I stayed in my room a lot of the time because of how self conscious I was. I got some pretty bad swelling from three days post op so something to think about when planning the return trip.

Ah ok mate, thanks for that. I'll just see how the healing goes and if I need to book another couple of nights at Hassotel I will do.

How long did you have off work?