Scary thoughts

bape151

I'm 3 weeks out post strip HT, shaved recipient site to the hairline and vertex. I've had as short a haircut to my native hair as I can but the recipient site hair length is still MUCH shorter. I'm trying both Dermatch and Toppik, but the hairstyle still is odd. I now have to go back to work and can't wear a hat in my profession. It isn't macho to say that I'm scared of embarrassment and discovery, but I am. This is hard for me guys! Any thoughts or comments? Thanks.

I'm 3 weeks out post strip HT, shaved recipient site to the hairline and vertex. I've had as short a haircut to my native hair as I can but the recipient site hair length is still MUCH shorter. I'm trying both Dermatch and Toppik, but the hairstyle still is odd. I now have to go back to work and can't wear a hat in my profession. It isn't macho to say that I'm scared of embarrassment and discovery, but I am. This is hard for me guys! Any thoughts or comments? Thanks.

Thats tough. I really feel for someone who cannot wear a hat for at least a month after. My best advice would be to try a "high and tight" with a #3 gaurd on the back and sides. This should afford you the length needed to cover your donor scar while keeping the length surrounding the top of your head short enough to avoid much of a contrast. While your stylist (i wouldnt suggest a barber for this) is at it, ask her (or him) to layer the hair on top. This gives depth and substance to your existing hair. They can also give suggestions on light gels and products to use to give you some adequate lift. Use Couvre and Toppik sparingly buyt effectively before you style and you may just be good to go.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Perhaps you can come down with a sudden illness (not real) and stay out another week or so? or perhaps make an excuse that someone died in the family (the 'old' you, hey you're not lying !!!)

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

bape, you are dealing with one of my biggest fears of HT.

I decided if it ever came down to it, I would tell people I lost a bet!!

You maybe the butt of all jokes at the begining, but 2 months from now, when those bad boy's are growing, no one would even have a second thought!!

You are just going to have to suck it up and make excusses... Also, remeber that we are harder on our selves than others are...

Good Luck!!

Tell your boss you are going through chemo. They will not dare ask you anything and will probably not care if you wear a hat. Its a lie but I know someone who has done this. He worked in a office. He even shaved his eyebrows just to make it look real. It was a miracle because he was cured :-) It is embarrasing if you cannot wear a hat during recovery so do not feel bad about that. This lie may or may not work for you but you never know. Good luck

Have you considered a piece? Since your hairline is intact, you might be able to get a very fine "system" to wear during the next few months. You'd clip it on during the day and remove it when not in public. It can be cut very thin so that it doesn't look like a wig, just some additional hair. If done properly it might be a good way to go.

If I go back for additional hair on the top, behind my HT toward the crown, I might do this myself. Hell, it's only temporary and no one will be able to tell. Pieces look bad when they are wigs, i.e., cover the whole head, particularly the hairline. But when used in small areas (Ted Danson in Cheers), they can be quite effective, particularly for the short term. In fact, lots of chemo patients take this route.

In addition to being a patient of Dr. Hasson, I act as the legal counsel for Hasson and Wong.

Most likely, your boss and coworkers are going to wonder, but not ask.

So, it's up to you whether to say anything. You can say you had surgery. This would not be a lie. If people ask "what kind of surgery?", you can tell them the truth or tell them it is very personal or none of their business. This is also the truth.

If they guess or suspect that you had a transplant, so what? If you COULD wear a hat, people might wonder why you always had a hat on all of a sudden.

I do sypmathize, but this is on of the unpleasant parts of HT.

Cut down the rest of your hair with a #2 or #3 then lightly dust your recepiant area with Toppiks-- this will make it stand out less and with the hair shorter-- it will blend in with your recp. area.

The only other option, if you have long hair- then you could do a "combover" or a Ceasar combforward style. Your best bet is to buzz it and in a couple of weeks is will look like a crew cut.