FUE: after care washing

Hi

So the consensus seems to be after two weeks post op, the grafts are firmly secure and you can behave as normal with regards to washing etc. Prior to this period, is it beneficial to avoid the scalp being touched at all? I know many doctors says to wash gently to encourage the scabs to fall off, but if you can avoid washing your scalp for two weeks, would this be detrimental to the transplanted grafts or conversely a good thing?

If the crusts still remain after two weeks post-op, then they are ready to come off which will not hurt your grafts in any way.

Many guys find it helpful to do this in the shower after lathering up your scalp and allowing the crusts to soften. Using the pads on your fingertips will dislodge them and then you can resume normal shampooing like you did before your procedure.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If the crusts still remain after two weeks post-op, then they are ready to come off which will not hurt your grafts in any way.

Many guys find it helpful to do this in the shower after lathering up your scalp and allowing the crusts to soften. Using the pads on your fingertips will dislodge them and then you can resume normal shampooing like you did before your procedure.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Hey, thanks for your reply. :D

Haven't had the procedure yet. I guess I'm asking, so I consciously try to leave the scabs for two weeks (I can do this if it is the best idea), so I should I wash before this period and get rid of them earlier?

I was real real afraid to do anything with the scabs, too. Studies have really shown that the chances of grafts coming out with hair or scabs lost are 0 by day 9 and the chances are really really slim anyways after day 4-5).

I started to lose some scabs probably on day 6-7 while sleeping. Dr. Konior said to wait 7 days post-op to remove them. I waited until day 9 or 10 and removed them in the shower because they were getting itchy and I just knew they were ready to come off.

Get in the shower...soak your head and the crusts for several minutes. Then take your index and middle finger and rub in a circular motion. Even using light light pressure, you will notice some come off. As long as you don't see any blood (which I didn't.....and the chances, again, if you seeing any is about nil by day 9-10), feel free to rub a little harder to remove some of the more tough ones. Don't use your fingernails and scratch them off. Just use light to medium pressure. You will probably notice 25% of them still might not come off the first time. That is fine. Next time you take a shower, go back to work on those ones using the light/medium pressure. Repeat each time you shower until they are gone. I would say 75% came off that first night in the shower where I touched them and then the other 25% the next day in the shower. No blood, no nothing.